Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Management Computer

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 1999, 05:42 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The second hand STI III V ltd RA that I'm looking at has many mods. Only one has me baffled. It is a Nagashima Motorsports Engine management computer. Anyone ever heard of this 3rd party supplier? If so where can i get it re-mapped or even checkedout when I return to the UK.
Cheers guys.

Al Cook
Old 07 November 1999, 08:33 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nagashima Company is a good Engine management system tuner and it is a rechipped system.

Stick with it until Ur sick of it .... the change the whole ECU.

MALIQUE - That is a great Idea....... I can find buyer for U too..... can we split the profit????

[This message has been edited by DYNT (edited 10-11-1999).]
Old 07 November 1999, 09:45 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

DYNT...

Let me guess.. change to a Motec ?

heehee

J.

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 07-11-1999).]
Old 08 November 1999, 12:40 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Al.

If you get the car, and have any concerns about it (the Engine Management system), I will set you up with a professionally tuned Possum Link ECU when you bring it into the country.

BUY THE CAR the spec sounds unbeatable, E Mail me direct if you want further details.

Mike.
Old 08 November 1999, 07:24 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Firefox .....*git*

Hehehehehe ..... MOTEC M48-PRO

Possum Link for road car is Piggyback system?? .... is that true Firefox??

[This message has been edited by DYNT (edited 10-11-1999).]
Old 08 November 1999, 09:29 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi DYNT ...

Nope..the PossumLink is a complete fully remappable replacement ECU, that plugs into the existing wiring loom.

The ECU was originally designed by Link.... and PossumBourne had one specifically tailored for Imprezas (for the Aircon, etc).

I personally believe this is the best ECU for the money.... If money wasnt an issue then go for Motec...

There are alternatives.... GEMS...plugs into the standard loom... but isnt user mappable.... Haltec...Autronics... HKS..... some are direct replacements....some are piggy units..... some are both.

J.
Old 10 November 1999, 06:15 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Nagashima M. ECU is crap. All Japanese stuff is crap.

DON'T re-map it, I'll buy it off you Al. I'll give ya 250 Quid for the ECU. Thats a good deal I'm tellin' ya mate.

Shifty M.
Old 10 November 1999, 10:21 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Malique...

Have you been able to sell your family for the 100 quid you want ?

J.
Old 14 November 1999, 11:31 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

J. 'fraid not...had to PAY them to take ma family :/

Al Cook : Having checked with "those in the know" rest assured the Naga M. ECU is in fact a very good but hard to get ECU. Stick with it and enjoy it. It sounds like your potential STI III has been re engineered with after market parts and the ECU has been tuned/calculated with those parts.

My offer of 250 quid was in jest, very likely it is worth more than 1000 quid.

Straight M.
Old 14 November 1999, 03:06 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Firefox,
Isn't Link a piggy back system? Even if there is, I don't think there's a wiring connector to plug into the unit n convert the std connector to suit like MoTec's. If Link isn't user tunable, what's the use even if it's cheap...rather get a tweaked box. It's cheaper n easier. For the tunable stuffs, I think DYNT is right...all others are crap n MoTec's best. If no budget, just stick to std or tweaked box.
Malique,
Since when have U been thinking of a Jap tuned box??? Yr car's fast enough! Wanna spend? ever considered my Nissan Pulsar?
Cheers all!
Old 14 November 1999, 04:19 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi cooly...

The PossumLink is a straight plug in swap.

Link designed the base ECU... PossumBourne commisioned Link to develop a specific one for the Impreza, that would plug straight in, and run all the secondary systems the Impreza ECU controls (water spray, air con, etc)

To fit the PossumLink you change the ECU board..and simply plug in the wiring harness connectors direct swap).

The new motec systems are a swap too.. the earlier ones werent. But the motecs arent user programmable...and dont support the secondardy systems.

The Link system is fully user programmable..and on the fly too... It supports add-on modules, which are really mandatory for fine tunning the car... and at 600 quid for the ECU..addon parts..and shipping..its bloody good value!!

Remember.. with ECU's, it comes down to the map..not the unit... you could fit a 2K motec...but if its got a crap map..then a superchip conversion will be better... *shrugs*

J.
Old 15 November 1999, 12:52 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Firefox,
If the Link has a direct swap, then why do ppl still use the main ECU as piggy back? I've not seen the direct ECU yet. Anyway, the MoTec's got a program to run it also. Besides, they support the other normal stuffs with the Aux output. Yes Link's cheaper...but in terms of processing speed, I think MoTec's Motorola 32 bit processor is still unmatchable. Moreover, if MoTec's no good, then why will teams use it to run their race cars n do U know what Mr Peter "Possum" Bourne is using for his MY98WRC during the Asia Pacific Rally Championship? It's a MoTec n not Link. There's always a point when we'll say that's for race use n this is not...but at the end of the day, we'll be looking at performance right?
Have fun...see U around.