Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI III V Ltd RA . Gearing worries.

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 1999, 09:50 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm soon to pick up the above car *my first Subaru) and I need some help and guidance in gearing for UK roads.
I've heard that the RA has very low gearing. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a car that has such low gearing as to be nearly unusable on the motorway.
The Subaru dealer (I'm based in Cyprus with the RAF and it's his personal car. He's using the money for a 22B) has told me that 5th will be good for 160 Mph. The car is heavily modded (Mod spec on request!) and produces 350 Bhp on 100 RON.
I have visions of cruising down the M1 in top pulling 8,000 and filling up every 50 miles!
Guys, your proffesional and respected help will be mnost gratefully received!
Best regards...
Al Cook

[This message has been edited by Al Cook (edited 05-11-1999).]
Old 06 November 1999, 06:27 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The basic question you need to ask is how many MPH per 1000 rpm in top if the car in question is the same as my Type R which is low geared then you will see about 20ish mph per 1000 rpm which means at 80 you are doing just over 4000 rpm.

The 4 door STI's have slightly taller gearing meaning they run slightly lower revs and the UK cars are alot lower reving for the same speed.

My car on Motorway runs can get between 250 and 270 miles to the tank depending on the weather and the traffic!

Cheers

Darren