Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

I think I'm gonna need a clutch soon

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 1999, 07:26 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By my reckoning I'm gonna need a clutch pretty soon for my MY95 WRX (long pedal travel/bite/bit of judder etc)
Does anyone know where I can get a WRX clutch from?
Is there any UK part crossover?
Or am I gonna get stung for a ridiculous amount of money, and massive lead times on the shipping?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Did
Old 15 October 1999, 10:50 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Check the faq to ensure your clutch is really going, is it slipping at high torque?

Your local WRX friendly dealer/importer would have these in stock (they can be 'consumables' depending on driving style and car power).

What area are you based in, maybe others could recommend a dealer/garage for your locality.

Moray
Old 15 October 1999, 06:40 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

Moray,
It's not slipping badly yet, but it doesn't lock in on the quick starts like it used to.
The car's done 72K Km's so I guess it will be getting ready. I live near Sheffield, Chesterfield to be precise (any locals around?) and have a reasonable workshop who look after the car. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much this things going to cost and if I'm going to have any availability problems.
Cheers
Did
Old 15 October 1999, 06:54 PM
malique
Scooby Regular

Did : You've managed 72K km from your clutch! You sure its a WRX? Certainly time to change it I would imagine. Maybe its slipping but u dont notice it? I think once you have a new clutch you'd be amazed at the new found g force liken to car's days of yore

Now if they only created a clutch with clamping force/bite of a cerametal clutch + feel of an organic clutch.....then we'd have the perfect fast road clutch.
Old 16 October 1999, 06:36 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Did, Malique's right. But Malique, didn't I just gave u tha ACS's number in any case U want yr clutch bebuilt? Malique, Malique....what can I say?? HA!
Old 17 October 1999, 03:45 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

I reckon you're right Malique I probably am loosing a bit of performance through slip, but it's not too bad to be really noticable at the minute.
The car has done 72K km but I've only owned it for 2K km so I don't know if it is it's first clutch or not.
Have you had a new clutch in your WRX? If so how much was the job? and did you fit standard or uprated?
See ya
Did
Old 17 October 1999, 06:37 PM
malique
Scooby Regular

Hi Did.

Yes Did, I did do it didn't I, Did. *sorry*

Beg your pardon Sir, I thgt u did the entire mileage on the original clutch.

I have fitted a trial metal clutch by Exedy which I think sucks but I cant complain seeing that I got it as a comp. from DYNT *tq* . And I have also had the opportunity to try the AP Racing competition clutch, And, the Exedy twin plate clutch. These clutches had excellent clamping force and excellent feel when in fast road/track use but the trade off is its uncomfortable to use in slow/heavy traffic. It would cost approx. UK400/600 pounds over where I am.

I would like to revert to an organic clutch which is better than the OE specs. Would you know of any such product?

coolhand: You are wrong, I'm not right - abstract.

tara!

mel smell.

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 1999, 09:31 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sighs..

Why is it... whereever there is trouble... Maliques about..

AP manufacture various different clutches... They dont tend to deal with the public direct... But I've been to their factory and had a custom clutch made (although not for a scoob).

I thought the Exedy dual plates where meant to be very good... not sure about light driving though..

Have you tried a Centreforce ? these are centrifugal..and meant to be light for easy driving... but when hammered they grip like buggery... *oooer - not that I know what buggery feels like - eeeek*

J.
Old 18 October 1999, 04:57 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Hi J.

Centerforce? I would very much like to try the centerforce clutch but AFAIK they dont make one for the Impreza. I would appreciate it very much if you can give me the part number if you know otherwise and if I can order it other from the states.

The dual plate has excellent feel but not relevant to my driving style. Its not light and the clutch pump has some problems coping with it.

Thanks. .
Old 23 October 1999, 10:47 AM
Did
Scooby Regular

Well it's finally gone, as soon as it comes on boost the clutch packs it's bags- I managed to predicted it's demise to within a week.

Does anyone know if the WRX clutch is the same as any UK spec? as this should prove far easier for me to get hold of.

Alternatively has anyone out there had their WRX clutch replaced? (I'm only in the market for something standard as I don't intend to wind a great deal more than standard output through it).
Some good recommendations of suppliers and rough prices would be a great help.
Thanks for any advice
Did
Old 23 October 1999, 03:30 PM
ransj
Scooby Regular

I had a new clutch in my 95 WRX RA a couple of weeks back. I phone the garage on Saturday and it was done the following Friday.

The part was £237.09 + VAT (part no. 02948 - I don't know is this is a Subaru number or a garage-specific number). Labour was £184.

I hope this helps,

Simon
Old 23 October 1999, 06:09 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Simon,
That sounds like a good deal you got on the labour. The place that services mine charge £30 p/hr and reckon the book figure is 8hrs for the job. That makes £240+ Vat for the labour then £250+ Vat for the plate.
Nearly £600 all in!!

Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives??
Cheers
Did
Old 24 October 1999, 08:31 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

24hr Clutch Centre in Bolton replaced my 94UK turbo clutch for about £280 inc (A Bargain), although it might not be top quality but who cares.

[This message has been edited by LeeMac (edited 24-10-1999).]