Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WRX A/T (sorry this is a repost)

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 1999, 01:19 AM
N/A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the A/T owners on this board I wanted to know what you thought of your trans? Are they capable of holding high horsepower? Do you have the sport shift mode? Are there anytimes when the trans starts to slip? Have you used a light weight flywheel and what about a trans oil cooler? What kind of horsepower numbers are you getting out of your cars and the 1/4mile times. I know we don't use the cars for drag racing but it is for comparison reason why I ask. If a WRX A/T was to be hooked to a US 2.5 engine would it bolt up and would the WRX trans allow the horsepower to be raised with a turbo or supercharger on the 2.5L engine? Thanks for the help.
OK I guess I was kind of vague the first time around. Sorry about that, I just didn't realize how many better A/T's there were then the ones the US gets. I was looking for one to fit in the US spec Impreza 2.5RS. I was looking for the one from the Legacy that was good for up to 300hp. That's what I was told anyways. The main concern is the bolt pattern and the wiring. So if I went with the reg WRX A/T it is only good for 215hp? What if I want to up it to 250 or as much as 280hp? Any ideas? Sorry if I still haven't given you enough info but I am not really sure how many A/T versions there are available in Japan and the UK. Is this a question I should try to ask a Japanese based tuning shop?

[This message has been edited by N/A (edited 18-10-1999).]
Old 18 October 1999, 10:41 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Best ask a Jap tuning shop.
I would think the work involved would be huge and expensive as the latest A/T fitted to Legacy GT-Bs have fuzzy logic shift pattern (B4 RSKs have tiptronic in addition to fuzzy logic) and should require a link from the ECU to the GCU. I guess only gearboxes fitted to Jap spec cars will handle more than 250ps and the required work on the electronics side of the fitment will be quite difficult.
Pls refer to your post in the 'General Questions' forum that u posted up a few days ago.
Old 19 October 1999, 09:45 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Greg,

I would recommend that you speak to Brett Middleton at MRT in Australia (www.mrtrally.com.au).

There are a much higher percentage of auto tramsission owners in Australia (the Police use them!) and he is the most knowledgeable person I have spoken with.

He got heavily involved with helping Winston develop his car and they also market some parts specifically for the auto version.

IHTH

Thanks

Gavin