Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Shoddy clutch control on pull-away & V6 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 1999, 03:20 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Crap title I know, but I have concerns with my MY94 WRX Jap import. The pull-away in 1st is rough and jerky (although clutch has full flow) and the engine sounds like a V6 Range-Rover. Is this normal? I know Scubes are powerful beasts, but this engine sounds ROUGH! My dealer didn't seem at all bothered about it. Please tell me all Scubes are like this!
Old 07 October 1999, 05:53 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have U a vacuum gauge installed? Look n see if the vacuum needle is stable or fluctuating alot? It could be the engine being out of tune or something. Have a chk wif a mechanic who knows this car. Be quick if U want to save unnecessary cost.
Old 07 October 1999, 09:57 PM
kalg01
Scooby Newbie

V6 Range Rover?? I only know of the V8 as far as the petrol engine option goes...
Old 07 October 1999, 11:12 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

A V6 might improve the fuel consumption. I used to average 15mpg in my 3.9 V8 Range Rover. My Scooby dealer reckons I am his only customer to buy a scooby and see an improvement in fuel consumption! I still miss the V8 exhaust note though. IMHO it's better than a scoobysport

To get back to the post.

Have you had the cam belt changed?
If this is replaced one tooth out the engine will sound like a bag of nails.

Do you do a lot of stop start town driving? The friction plates of the clutch may be glazed. A few full bore starts should deglaze the clutch.
Old 08 October 1999, 09:22 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

You're all bloody mad!

No, I don't have a guage. I was considering getting one, but I'm not sure if I can fit one on my MY94 WRX.

As for the cam-belt, no. I haven't had it changed myself.

Maybe I'm just not used to the roughness yet. The dealer seemed satisfied (he didn't supply the car) and it is powerful enough. Does everyone elses car sound meaty? Or are they supposed to be unassuming?

As you've probably gathered, I know nothing about Range Rovers either!

pilch
Old 08 October 1999, 09:42 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

You could be suffering from a problem with one of the ignition coil-packs, which can break down over time on the earlier cars.

Perhaps your car was supplied with an aftermarket exhaust which is much louder than the standard one. Does it have a single tailpipe, or a double?.

My UK MY98 sounds nice at idle - slightly uneven rythmic throb to the exhaust note, but always nice and smooth when underway. All Imprezas have a different sound to the all in-line 4 cylinder engines due to it's flat four confiuration.

As for the clutch, is it juddering when you pull away in 1st gear?. This is a fairly common characteristic of Imprezas. Search the BBS for 'clutch judder' for more info.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 08 October 1999, 10:07 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Hi AlexM,

There is definitely a sexy throbbing coming from the engine (!) when idle, and a blasting roar when thrashing. The clutch is probably just me, being used to Astra crap and the like. I have the double style exhaust.

I think I'll stick it on the rolling road after pay-day...

Cheers

P
Old 08 October 1999, 11:33 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

AlexM,

The rhythmic beat of our scoobies is, more specifically, caused by the unequal length exhaust manifold fitted to the flat four engine. You can source replacement manifolds with tuned length tubes, as used in the current wrc car, this will help power and torque but kills that unique exhaust note. Apparently an impreza with a tuned length manifold sounds like a japanese four cylinder motorbike.
Old 08 October 1999, 01:54 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Moray,

Hmmm... more power and torque or loosing the interesting rythmic throbbing...

I think it is an essential part of the Scooby's character, and a normal four pot sounds dead boring. I'll pass I think.

The equal length manifold on Power Engineering's wall does look like a work of art though... takes me back to my school days in the Brass band!.

Old 08 October 1999, 02:21 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, the less said the better.

I am overjoyed with the sound of the engine etc. even though I have done nowt to it. I'd like to improve performance, but keep the overly 'sporty' sounding gadgets to a minimum. Ofter all, the main point of having a scoob and not an evo is the 'quiet, unassuming grunt'. The car looks a little better than a standard saloon (bloody great air intakes!) but shifts like.. well, you know the rest! That is why **I** bought one. Of course, upgradeability is excellent (unless you have a MY94 WRX like me ..)