Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Magnex de-cat pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 1999, 08:53 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had one of these fitted to a MY98 UK Turbo - bolted straight on from what I could see of the bloke fitting it.

Yes, I paid £115 plus £15 fitting although it is an easy DIY job if you have ramps etc.
Had it fitted at PTS St Albans - a not so nice experience had here - bad service, messy workshop and dodgy types hanging around in lots of R5 turbos!

Before I get shot down in flames, this is only my personal experience and opinion!!

The pipe works fine, giving a nicer sound (though not much louder, thankfully) and plenty more low down power - a few more pops and bangs from the exhaust also!

Hope this is of use
Cheers
Paul
Old 03 September 1999, 11:00 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Question

Errr... I'm probably a bit thick but, doesn't de-catting the car invalidate the MOT or can you get done by the boys in blue for emissions or something??

If there is a way round this, (other than swap the CAT back at MOT time..) please let me know!

Cheers.
Old 07 September 1999, 07:01 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello,

If anyone is around the Derby/Notts/Midlands area, and would like the exhaust fitting.. I'll do it... I've fitted a few. I like doing stuff like that

Ask Mike to how much pride and effort I put into Scoobs (and everything).

Tara,

J. (jay@c-t-l.co.uk)
Old 09 September 1999, 01:57 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Question

Now I'm really confused.

I thought that the 'down-pipe' was simply a pipe to replace the first cat, and hence allow the turbo spin up faster etc etc.

Price of £115 seems about right.

Also, the gains according to the 'Dynomite Scooby's' page, seem really good.

But are there different types of down-pipe? ie. substantially different.

I ask this because ScoobySport want £352 fitted for their downpipe! Why? what's different about it?

Please, someone help!
Old 09 September 1999, 02:33 PM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

The exhaust is made up from 4 sections.

There is the manifold which runs from the engine to the Turbo. This section is not very often replaced as it is rather costly because of the complexity of the shape. An equal length version of this has been seen to give some good improvements in torque but you do then loose the Scooby's distinctive engine note.

The next section runs from the Turbo to just under the car and this is known as the downpipe. This section contains a cat on all cars. This section is quite expensive to have fitted because you have to remove the intercooler to get at it.

The next section is the center section which is where this message started and runs between the downpipe and the back box on European cars this section has a cat in it on my Type R it doesnt although it does have 2 bulges which provide silencing and seemingly also decrease the torque.

The last section is the back box which is the section that most people replace.

I hope that helps.

Darren