ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Magnex de-cat pipe. (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/26957-magnex-de-cat-pipe.html)

hutton_d 01 September 1999 03:57 PM

Hi,

Was starting to ring around for prices on one of these (guess what - 3 out
of 3 said £115 inc..). But a couple of dealers said '..won't fit a standard
system guv..'. I thought they did - and Magnex said '..yeah, it should fit
the standard system..'.

So, the question for you guys is, if anyone has them fitted, do they fit the
standard exhaust??

Cheers

Dave

PS: I have a UK MY96 saloon.

PGMabley 03 September 1999 08:53 PM

I have had one of these fitted to a MY98 UK Turbo - bolted straight on from what I could see of the bloke fitting it.

Yes, I paid £115 plus £15 fitting although it is an easy DIY job if you have ramps etc.
Had it fitted at PTS St Albans - a not so nice experience had here - bad service, messy workshop and dodgy types hanging around in lots of R5 turbos!

Before I get shot down in flames, this is only my personal experience and opinion!!

The pipe works fine, giving a nicer sound (though not much louder, thankfully) and plenty more low down power - a few more pops and bangs from the exhaust also!

Hope this is of use
Cheers
Paul

Stuart Page 03 September 1999 11:00 PM

Errr... I'm probably a bit thick but, doesn't de-catting the car invalidate the MOT or can you get done by the boys in blue for emissions or something??

If there is a way round this, (other than swap the CAT back at MOT time..) please let me know!

Cheers.

hutton_d 06 September 1999 10:23 AM

The Scoob (UK anyway) has two cats - one in the downpipe and one in the mid-section. The de-cat pipe just replaces the latter and the front cat is quite adequate for MOT purposes.

There are 2 because manufacturers have to pass much more stringent emmissions requirements than those laid down by the MOT.

Cheers

Dave

hutton_d 07 September 1999 10:12 AM

From paul@subaru-555.demon.co.uk:

| Give Roadrunner in Nottingham a ring 01159781173 they have them for under
| £100. I think about £96.00
|
| I have just brought a magnex rear box with 3 an half inch round tail pipe
| sounds bloody great and looks good to they also do a 4 inch round pipe too

| Forgot to say it picks up a lot better now

Dave

firefox 07 September 1999 07:01 PM

Hello,

If anyone is around the Derby/Notts/Midlands area, and would like the exhaust fitting.. I'll do it... I've fitted a few. I like doing stuff like that http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

Ask Mike to how much pride and effort I put into Scoobs (and everything).

Tara,

J. (jay@c-t-l.co.uk)

Imran 09 September 1999 01:57 PM

Now I'm really confused.

I thought that the 'down-pipe' was simply a pipe to replace the first cat, and hence allow the turbo spin up faster etc etc.

Price of £115 seems about right.

Also, the gains according to the 'Dynomite Scooby's' page, seem really good.

But are there different types of down-pipe? ie. substantially different.

I ask this because ScoobySport want £352 fitted for their downpipe! Why? what's different about it?

Please, someone help!

Darren Soothill 09 September 1999 02:33 PM

The exhaust is made up from 4 sections.

There is the manifold which runs from the engine to the Turbo. This section is not very often replaced as it is rather costly because of the complexity of the shape. An equal length version of this has been seen to give some good improvements in torque but you do then loose the Scooby's distinctive engine note.

The next section runs from the Turbo to just under the car and this is known as the downpipe. This section contains a cat on all cars. This section is quite expensive to have fitted because you have to remove the intercooler to get at it.

The next section is the center section which is where this message started and runs between the downpipe and the back box on European cars this section has a cat in it on my Type R it doesnt although it does have 2 bulges which provide silencing and seemingly also decrease the torque.

The last section is the back box which is the section that most people replace.

I hope that helps.

Darren