Problems re-starting after stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 1999, 08:37 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

Has anyone noticed that the engine can be difficult to restart if you stall it?

If I don't floor the accelerator, the engine will half-catch, idle at 300rpm, and then stall again.

The only thing that works is to floor the trottle, and twist the key for 10-15 secs. Sometimes the car will flood, and not start at all.

Any ideas on a better technique, or is there something wrong?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 09 September 1999, 12:19 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jay,

If there is a special method in the manual, I couldn't find it.

It is mega embarassing to stall in a queue of traffic, and then hold everyone else up for thirty seconds. Luckily I might only stall the car once every other month, but my wife does it rather more frequently, and has been on the receiving end of some rather aggressive behaviour from the usual t***s for delaying them.

I wonder if the ECU is doing something daft like reverting to a cold start program?. The symptoms are similar to over choking, with an erratic idle and reluctance to fire up. I doubt this is the case, but every other car I've ever been in will start straght away in this situation.

I've read threads about poor starting due to cam angle sensor problems etc. I presume I would be seeing a 'check engine' light if there was a sensor problem.

Can any of you ECU wizards shed any light on this?.

Many Thanks,

Alex
Old 09 September 1999, 11:07 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,

I remember there is a "special" way of starting the car again - I think it might be in the manual.

The reason its so difficult is due to the amount of fuel being pumped through. Holding the food down will do it - letting more air through.

I once flooded mine - let it stand for 2 days (went away) - came back....still wouldnt start and had to take the plugs out. The plugs were dripping after 2 days!!! I dried them out and cleaned them. Bingo - started first time.

J.
Old 09 September 1999, 01:16 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi again,

Does this only happen when you stall it ?

I assume it doesnt happen the first time you start it ?

If it does only happen when you stall it, then I would stand by what I said before: Its due to the amount of fuel being pumped.

Holding the pedal down when you try and start it allows more air to go in, leaning out the rich mixture (resident fuel).

You will find with Turbo cars (even when starting) more fuel is introduced than with NA cars on startup. Especially with Scoobs (perhaps unique to flat four/sixes)?

J.

ps - perhaps it wasnt in the manual - But I know it was a thread on here.... many many many moons back.... in the early days... lol
Old 09 September 1999, 01:50 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi again,

Jay, Yes you are right. This only happens after a stall. The car starts perfectly under normal circumstances.

The 'floor the throttle' method works for me, but I'm curious as to whether this is simply characteristic of the car.

Thanks for your replies.

Alex