Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Judder

Old 24 July 1999, 12:31 AM
John H-S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY99 , done 10,000 miles. When starting off from cold in the morning the judder is getting horriffic. The whole car shakes. It reduces as the car warms up.

The thing is, I dont thrash the car all that much, never ride the clutch when stationary, and have had no problems with clutch wear in previous (non-Scoobs) cars.

Should I take it back to the dealer? Is the clutch likely to be totally worn by, say, 20,000 miles?

Did I notice that the warranty doesnt include the clutch?

I fear a big bill coming........
Old 24 July 1999, 12:53 AM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Take it to the dealer. Sound like the clutch a goner ... parts should be cheap in UK but labour ....$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

20K miles ...... it happen.
Old 24 July 1999, 01:00 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Sounds exactly what I had on my MY98 - mine was replaced under warranty at 11k miles.
Get yours booked in NOW - if you leave it they may sat its wear and tear.
Old 26 July 1999, 07:40 PM
Andy Holden
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

My MY98 has suffered intermitent clutch judder for while - I complained about it at the 7500 service and the dealer said 'they all do that'.

Since then it has got worse - every now and then it judders so badly it makes the whole car shake violently.

I complained about it again at 14,000 for my one year service. The dealer tested it and said: yes it does judder, but not badly enough for us to change it - wait until it gets worse. (Of course, it didn't do its really bad judder for them!)

I wasn't happy with that - I'm worried the judder is putting strain on other components so I said i wanted it sorted out. They gave me a load of old b******s about Subaru UK inspecting the old clutch and charging them if it wasn't deemed faulty, so I suggested I phoned them myself.

IM were horrified I had to speak to them direct and said the dealer should be sorting it out, not making excuses. The chap said they pre-authorise warranty work (so what the dealer was telling me was crap) - all the dealer had to do was fill in a form and send it to them.

New clutch goes in on Thursday , but why couldn't the dealer have been proactive and sort it out without me having to resort to phoning IM? All credit to IM though.

My advice to those with juddery clutches - report it to your dealer asap, and keep at it until you're happy.

After all, Scoodbs may be the performance car bargain of the decade, but they are still £20,000 cars. For £20k I don't expect to kangaroo down the road!
Old 26 July 1999, 11:56 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi John,

Take a look at other threads regarding "clutch judder". It would appear to be a fairly common problem/fault. My previous Scooby, an MY97, started juddering when cold at around 10k miles but never got that bad and it had some 30k+ when I sold it at the start of this year. Now have an MY99 (8k on clock) and no judder yet.

A lot depends on how bad it is. I have driven one loan car, that was "very" bad. Just a suggestion but consider letting another Scooby owner have a shot.

Good luck....