Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Non-turbo ECU chips

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 04:56 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sounds like you've already done the bits that will make the biggest difference ... the only other thing I can suggest is maybe some new spark plugs and HT leads, this can often perk up an older car as they do go iffy over time.

Edited to add -- some people with NA cars speak highly of Alterpower, it's a little unit which monitors battery usage & drain and cuts out the alternator when it's not needed, or when you hit full throttle. Reckoned to give an extra 8-10BHP. I think Racelogic used to do it but it's not on their website anymore.

There's a bit more info here too.

[Edited by brickboy - 11/5/2003 5:04:24 PM]
Old 05 November 2003, 01:46 PM
lewisanderson42
Scooby Newbie

Question

My first post here....

I've had a good look through the forum for information about chipping non-turbo Imprezas - found some great advice, but not found exactly what i need.

I've an old MY93 1.8GL 5-door wagon cos its all i can afford to insure at the moment - it handles great cos i've re-done the suspension, and breathes quite well with an induction kit.

I've a Hitachi ECU, and have asked various (powerchips, superchips, eurochips, TSL (ECUTEC)) people if they can re-map it but no one can. They have sugggested Dastek Unichip and i'll go to Owen Developments, if i decide to go ahead (with this madness...!)

So, anyone any experience of chipping non-turbo Imprezas or Hitachi ECUs? I luv the car, and am not ready to sell yet - want to see how much more i can get out of it first!

cheers guys and gals
Lewis
Old 05 November 2003, 02:47 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

It is difficult to get any significant power increase on a non-turbo engine just be re-mapping (re-calibrating) it. A lot of the 'chips' that claim to do this do little more than raise the rev limit (dangerous - it's there for a reason).

You can get a little more power by dumping the cat and tuning with no consideration for emissions, but probably only a few percent. You can also advance the ignition to get closer to the knock limit (and use higher RON fuel), but again this is risky, and also bepends on how close to the limit the calibration was to start with.

Ths issue when you don't have a turbo is getting air into the engine (fuel and spark can be taken care of by the re-map), and the only way to do this (after vhanging the exhaust, induction etc.) is to modify intake tracts, port designs, cam profiles etc. A lot of highly skilled (or highly hit-and-miss) work!
Old 05 November 2003, 03:36 PM
lewisanderson42
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dr M

I’ve fitted a fully de-cat Scoobysport exhaust system – tuned manifold, de-cat centre section, and scoobysport back box. It made an awesome noise and was huge fun, but I had to squeeze a cat back in to get it through its MOT!

So, have done all I can there – I guess I need to work on the intake, as changing cams etc might be more expensive than value of car! Have fitted the pipercross induction kit designed for the 2 litre sport so far – that made a huge difference.