Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

95 WRX Type RA tuning path

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 02:46 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Looking here, it seems that my new steed seems to have quite a special motor up front.

It's damned quick as it is, with its RA gearing and 1180kg wet weight, but you can never have too much of a good thing I guess

Current mods (courtesy of POC and other previous owners):
ECU remapped (Scott T) set to 16.5psi
Dawes device set to same boost
HKS 2.5in Decat downpipe
Magnex straight through center section
Scoobysport backbox
K&N Induction Kit

It's going on the rolling road in a couple of weeks so I'll see then how it's running as a baseline. Seems great from the drivers seat though.

It'll mainly be used on the track and for the odd country lane blast, but I'd like it to remain nice as tracable as possible. It's currently boosting up a little after 3200rpm, should I expect to do any better than that? I know turbo technology has come a long way recently. Mid to high-300's would be a nice target power-wise, and a nice broad section of torque to go with it.

On the shopping list so far: Lateral gear-kit (£££), FMIC (?), fuel pump/reg. Hopefully I'd still be able to run the standard ECU, don't know about the injectors though.

Am I thinking along the right lines? Would really appreciate some steerage from the power experts on here
Old 30 October 2003, 05:13 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Chase Andy F as he started with a similar car. Mark A is also very helpful and has a pragmatic approach.

Mark A
Old 30 October 2003, 05:25 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Mark A is also very humble, it would seem.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:16 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark
Old 31 October 2003, 02:18 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I have a MY95 STI RA which was similar spec. to yours when I brought it. I went along the LINK ECU route with BRD and am very happy with the results.

You will need to increase the fuelling if you want 350+ bhp, I fitted 550cc injectors, uprated fuel pump and uprated fuel reg, Lateral performance is a good place to buy these. My car is mapped with the incresed fuel and runs a safe 21psi with the standard intercooler, your car will have a TD05 turbo which should be alright for the power you want, a FMIC would be a good idea aswell.

Just out of interest what is your speed per 1000rpm in top gear, mine is about 16.5mph which equates to 100mph at 6000 revs!!

Enjoy
Dom.
Old 01 November 2003, 07:33 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Hi Dom - yep my gearing is about the same. Not fun on the motorway, but great for acceleration. If I start tuning it I may bring the gearing down a notch though.
Old 01 November 2003, 07:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have a closed deck block, but you still have cast pistons. These are likely to be the limiting factor before anything else, as they were in Andy F's engine. Whether it is closed deck or not is possibly irrelevant whilst you still have these pistons in. Harvey has managed over 500 BHP with an open deck block - just with pistons and rods changed. Hence for your intended power levels, your engine is arguably no advantage for your tuning.