Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox removal & Fitting-what the best way help

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 01:13 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I need some help & advice on methods of removing my gearbox,Ive already had my engine out a few times & prefered engine out to change clutch. As ive killed my gearbox ive no need to take engine out. So far I no that these parts will have to come off : tmic,starter motor,driveshafts, speedo cable etc
What else do i really need to remove, can the d/p & exhuast stay on, does the gear stick stay on. At which part of the prop shaft do i undo or remove. What about re-fitting etc bearing fork , prop shaft, crossmembers & so on. Thanks Ticky
Old 27 October 2003, 02:14 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The exhaust downpipe can stay on, so long as you remove the two bottom studs out of the bell housing flange, thus allowing the box to "tip" slightly as it slides back.
The centre exhaust will have to drop,heat sheild and the centre propshaft. Remove the driveshaft inner locking pins and disconnect the front lower suspension arm ball joints to allow the shafts to come off the box.
Disconnect the gearstick from the box and can stay in place. take off the intercooler to allow access to the top bolts and clutch.
Remove the clutch pivot arm pin and lift up off the release bearing.

Sound complicated I know, but much easier than removing the engine, as you dont have to keep bleeding the coling system abd risk air bubbles in the system.
Old 30 October 2003, 06:20 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Scoobyslut: Can you move the box back enough to change the clutch and flywheel, so saving all the work on the drive shafts? Obviously remove prop shaft etc. Never done a scooby before so need a bit of advice.
Graham.
Old 30 October 2003, 07:18 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Talking

jusy done mine yes u can get at it from the top if u remove the intercooler..i had 2 remove the front driveshafts though just have pins in them ..drive em out and pull outa the way.the car is so well designed i found it very easy if u do it methodicaly[btw i did it on a my96]also i found removing the down pipe was nessisairy.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:48 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

911, I think you'll have to remove the driveshafts from g/box so you can move it back further. I Knocked the pins out using a drill bit,then removed the two bolt from the lower part of the shock/strut & pulled off the d/shaft. Mind you I had to remove my g/box completey to fit the new one. Remember to drain g/box oil cos when you remove prop shaft it will leak oil. Overall it took me about 5hrs to do it all on my own except when pulling off gearbox & re-fitting. I removed d/p & centre section, g/box subframe, starter, gear selector rods. If i was changing the clutch i would usually prefer to take engine out , some prefer removing gearbox off method.
Old 31 October 2003, 12:18 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
I'll send you a PDF on the whole process tomorrow from work, so long as I remember.
Old 31 October 2003, 07:54 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Mad Scientist - would you mind sending me a copy of the PDF as well?

Cheers,

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2003, 12:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks for the advice guys. I intend to fit light flywheel, Lateral clutch and a good oil . I have seen for sale a gearbox 'jack' which you strap to the box and use a built-in scissor jack to hold the box stable while you are doing the job, all for £80. You can use it also to safely take the box out from under the shell and away from the car.
Please send me a pdf too!
Graham.
Old 31 October 2003, 01:57 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

Mad scientist sorry but can you send me the pdf file aswell looking at taking the engine and box out at some stage to do rebuild but just abit baffled on some parts. i.e if i break anything

cheers

Darren
Old 31 October 2003, 02:02 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mailed you both!
Old 31 October 2003, 06:17 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mad scientist. I know your going to think to yourself, I wish I had'nt mentioned it. BUT, I will be changing the clutch in me MY00 scooby in the not to distant future. Could I be so bold as to plead with you( thats a grovel, if you didn't know ) to please send me the PDF on the subject. If you do Ill see you right at Xmas. As Im getting a new pair of glasses.

Cheers Paul.

Paul@hopwood13.fsnet .co.uk
Old 31 October 2003, 06:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you can remove the driveshafts with out disconnecting any of the suspension. a turbo takes me about 2.5 hrs job done and thats removing the exhaust as well!!
Old 31 October 2003, 06:41 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Right!

The PDF is on my PC at work. I'm not back untill Monday but I will mail it then, no probs!

By the way, I had bounce backs from the hotmail accounts so if you want it you'll have to provide a decent e-mail address.

Old 01 November 2003, 07:58 AM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mad Scientist, please send pdf to loaksey@aol.com, that might work better?
hanks, Graham.