problems with my day-today car!

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2003, 07:33 PM
man_with_a_spanner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I've got a problem with my day-to-day car, which for all my sins is a Fiesta ZetecS.

Normally it's a great little car, but just recently it's gone off the rails.... and I'd be really appreciative of any advice people can offer me to fix it.

Anyhow the problem:

The car went in for a clutch and slave cylinder change, which was done, and all seems fine with that. The thing is that the car now has a serious lack of power - when accelerating the car will pull like normal until a given point in the revs, when an appreciable decrease in acceleration will be apparent, which is accompanied with a change in engine note. The timing (in the rev range) of the loss being dictated by engine temp and percentage throttle opening; when cold the power loss is evident from approx 1500rpm regardless of throttle opening, but when at working temp the problem shows at approx. 3000rpm (when using WOT), ranging through to 5500 rpm (about 25% throttle pedal displacement). The symptoms are the same regardless of the gear being used.

To date the car has had an OBDII fault code reader attached, and all the sensors checked with an oscilloscope to see if they are outputing acceptable and changing values. All seems fine, the car has absolutley no problem idling, and both my local ford garage and I are confused. The garage has suggested the CAT has failed, but given the car was abosolutely fine when it went in I am very doubtful of this and reluctant to remove the CAT as it's a pain, and will require angle grinding off as the studs are heavily corroded.

I would really welcome any suggestions, however daft you might feel your suggestion to be.... the best suggestion I've heard to date is to ditch it!

Cheers people.

Steve.
Old 27 October 2003, 02:30 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, does sound like the cat may of become detatched inside the exhaust. It is a common problem with these, especially if the exhaut has either been "struck" r suffered some form of shock [ie hammer blow when hot].
The maf sensor can also give a few trickes of its own, but best bet is to simply drop the pipe down and then see if it will rev up, thus eliminating the exhaust from the equasion.