Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Please help: Stripped bolt on timing belt tentioner.(cp)

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2003, 02:13 AM
RotarFreak
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I am in real trouble here (cross post from nasioc- i really need help on this, must have car running by friday)

I was changing my timing belt (and head gasket), and either the previous owner, or the factory tightened the tentioner to a 1000 ft/lb, when the bolt came out, it did so with all of the threading.

At this point i have only 1 option: heily coil (sorry spelling)

My questions are: what's on the other side of the belt tentioner bolt? It seems to be a staight shot into the block. If any of the drill dust were to get in there, where is it going to end up, will it wash up, and get trapped in the filter?

2: If I enlarge the hole my self, what are the chances of the new hole to end up at a slight angle, and what would happen or is it even possible, for the tentioner to come in contact with the belt at a minimal angle?

Sorry to being wordy, but i am at a complete loss, and i have no way to haul the engine to a shop to have the hole drilled by a pro. Would i have to take the engine back apart, and clean it after the hole is done? Would i need another new head gasket?

engine in question: 1998 DOHC 2.5 (from impreza)

Thank you
Alex-
Old 23 October 2003, 02:33 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

edited due to middle of the night ramblings....

R.

[Edited by tweenierob - 10/23/2003 5:32:13 PM]
Old 23 October 2003, 07:49 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Heli-coil or thread insert is the only safe option here,i know which one of yours has gone....we have repaired quite a few with the same problem.
The thread insert is a prefered repair as it is a hardened insert and will last.
I wouldn't trust a 'different' thread type bolt just in case it comes undone/cracks the soft alloy casing.............goodbye cambelt/valves/pistons etc!! if it lets go while you driving.
For the small cost involved is it worth 'bodging' it?..a motor enginnering shop may even come out to you and repair it on site.
We offer this service BUT you are a long way away....best of luck mate

steve.
Old 23 October 2003, 08:18 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Yet another "simple option" is to go and buy the bracket the tensioner bolts to, as it it available as a seperate part. costs around 30.00 new, but would you want to risk a loose bolt or a "different threaded" bolt where it is placed under such tension where the risk of it comming back out and loosing the timing belt is a bit on the high side??
Old 24 October 2003, 11:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would agree that the Helicoil method is the best way to go. That really is an important bolt and not worth the risk of further trouble from it. The Helicoil will be a stronger thread than the original of course. When it is being drilled out for re-tapping, the original hole will guide the drill if you take the job carefully and line the drill up as well as you can.

Les