Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

more dawes questions!

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2003, 08:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi,
been looking at the many threads there are for the dawes device so sorry if i'm repeating some questions but i got a little lost in all the info! could someone answer a few questions for me please?
1 - does fuelling need to be altered to match an increase in boost to keep things happy?
2 - what is the max boost you can increase to before you need to worry about a lean mixture?
3 - i get 14 psi from my car at the mo (my 99 uk,full decat,itg panel filter) can i really expect a lot more power by increasing boost to 15/16 psi(or whatever is safe?)
4 - how much is one of these things and what is a rough fitting price?
thanks for your time and any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21 October 2003, 08:41 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cool

matey, although these have all been asked before, I'm happy to repeat the answers, as I took ages to find the answers !

Mine's fitted to a 98, so I think the max boost level of the stock ECU is slightly different but....

a) In terms of Fuelling, get a dawes AFR at the same time, this will allow you to check that the system is getting enough fuel at WOT, by way of a set of 4 LEDS. The top led is blue and should be lit at full throttle - They are relatively cheap and you DEFO don't want to run lean (It works by tee-ing into the feed from the exhaust O2 sensor to the ECU) - As long as the car is OK, you should be OK

b) Again, as long as the car is OK to start with, you'll hit the ECU's self-protection first - this is called 'Fuel-Cut' and the ecu cuts the system when a certain boost level is reached (1.25 bar in my case) - This can be overriden, but then the answer to your question is V different !

c) by turning the Dawes up until Fuel Cut and then down a smidge, you;ll get max boost - the results are shown in two ways - the new max boost will give more power - Yes, you'll notice, but the second change is MUCH more noticable - the Dawes stops Boost Creep, where the wastegate opens early (as it opens gradually), thus losing boost through the rev range. The effect of the Dawes is to give much more torque in the low and mid range... Trust me, You WILL feel this - it transforms the car....

d) Price - see http://www.performanceexhausts.net/ - I don't know about fitting, I did it myself -

Actually fitting is easy, BUT you'll need the AFR and a boost gauge (otherwise you'll be guessing the Boost (!!!!!)) AND most people fit a knocklink (I did) to monitor the engine knock - its just more re-assurance, but this makes the price and fitting time more like a couple of weekends and 2-3 hundred quid... SORRY

Hope this helps, and feel free to mail me, or reply on this post if you need any advice, (Albeit from a new Dawes user)

Mark
Old 21 October 2003, 09:08 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers mark! top info mate,i'd never seen a dawes device before the pics on that site. not what i was expecting,i thought it would be a big box of tricks and lights! skimmed thro the spec of the afr,isn't this the same sort of thing as the knocklink?or is one better than the other? i don't know a thing about engines so feel free to tell me to stop talking ****e if i start spouting bollox in this thread
Old 21 October 2003, 09:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

mark, which device do i need? the hybrid or the dual stage?
didn't realise swearing was a no-no and got bleeped out, sorry kids!
Old 21 October 2003, 09:51 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

A much wiser man than me once say 'No need for Dual Stage - Take foot off throttle if wanting less power' - seems reasonable to me (Sorry JB )

The AFR monitors Fuel / Air mix after burning - and uses this to gauge the fuel mixture

The KnockLink listens, via a microphone sensor attached to the engine block, for noises on a certain frequency - which (with a bit of generalisation!) will indicate that fuel is being burnt irregularly in the cylinder, caused by one / more things, like timing, weak fuel mix, bad fuel octance rating, overly hot intake temperature etc etc.

SO - I've always been advised to get both, but I guess some folks run one or even neither -

You;ll also WANT and need a boost gauge, to adjust the dawes and to keep an eye on things...

Mark
Old 21 October 2003, 09:53 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Fanx for that mark, I've been umming and aaring about a Dawes for about a month now, truth of the matter is I've run out of money and am waiting for pay day, however,

Trust me, You WILL feel this - it transforms the car....
All I can say is ****e where's mine

Fink I'm gonna order all me bits tomoz now
Old 21 October 2003, 10:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

being a bit cynical but wheres the downside to this peice of kit? i mean for £50 for the sort of results i'm reading about why do people spend £1000's on a PPP that doesn't seem to do a lot more? sounds like the bargain of a lifetime!