Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

backbox exhaust gasket

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 09:02 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a gasket between the backbox and the centre pipe? If so, will my local fast fit tyre place sell them?
Is there one between the centre pipe and the downpipe?
How much approx are these?

cheers.
Phil
Old 24 September 2003, 10:38 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, and Yes..

Exhaust place might be cheaper.. front one is about 15 and back one 6 or something from dealer, prices off top of my head though.

Lots of exhaust swapping going on at the moment

JGM
Old 25 September 2003, 09:34 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Anyone know any local type places that do them and prices? Instead of going to the dealers?
Is the front gasket a disposible one like the rear?
Old 26 September 2003, 10:05 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Morning,

I can shed some more light on this for you, as I'm getting my downpipe and silencer fitted on Monday. Can't wait!!!

The gasket from the turbo to the downpipe is £10.80 + VAT. The gasket from the downpipe to the centre section is a re-usable (apparently) "doughnut" that should last ages, so you shouldn't need one. The gasket from the centre section to the silencer is £4.46 + VAT. These are main dealer ex stock prices (in this case from Oaken).

If you want to fanny around looking for somewhere that sells them cheaper, then fair enough. Some people have posted on here words like "outrageous" and "rip off", etc. Way I see it, they're in stock, and they're £17.93 INC VAT...

Regards,

Ade.
Old 26 September 2003, 02:00 PM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

It it helps, did my BB and centre a couple of weeks ago (MY00 and put Magnex items on).

When I removed the original system, there was no gasket between the BB and centre, and there was the metal doughnut ring thing between the centre and downpipe.

I reused the doughnut, and just put a thin smear of exhaust putty in the join between the centre and BB. No leaks

Only problems I had were that one of the bolts holding the BB to centre was a bit seized but nothing some WD40 and a long bar couldn't sort out.

The two spring loaded bolts holding the centre to the downpipe were also very stiff (thought I might shear them as they're a lot thinner than the rear ones) but again WD40 and a blowtorch () and lots of "undo it a bit then tighten it a bit" movements got them undone.

What I also found was because the flange on the Magnex centre (at the downpipe joint) was thicker than on the standard one, I had to cut a couple of coils off the springs that go round the bolts, as otherwise they went coil bound before the bolts were fully tightened up. This would have meant that the joint had insufficient flexibility in it, so might have fractured the DP.

Hope that last bit makes sense. It might be more obvious when you do the job!