Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Overboosting with induction & decat.

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 10:30 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an induction kit for MY 99 U.K turbo. Was wandering what risks are involved with running this with a decat. Have noticed my boost peaking at 1.22 bar on my gauge but have the rest of the car standard. Would adding an induction kit have anymore effect on this boost spiking without first getting it remapped??

Any thoughts on what types of inductions kits to use??

cheers.
Old 23 September 2003, 12:38 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You're taking a risk running any induction kit with an MY99/00, as these cars have MAF sensors that seem particularly prone to misreads and failure even under "normal" conditions. Running a cone can exaggerate these tendencies, although the K&N version seems to be one of the safer parts in this respect.

TBH the gains from running an induction kit are negligible anyway - there are a number of people here running big power on the standard tract - complete with resonator. You're much safer keeping the standard intake and running a K&N or Green panel filter.

If you're seeing 1.22 bar peaks on a car that's supposed to be standard it's already spiking to a certain extent, and improving the breathing can make it a little bit worse. Fitting a cone is doubly risky in this respect as improvements in breathing can coincide with MAF sensor misreads that themselves lean the mixture.

A remap is one way of calming it down, but if you havent got other reasons for wanting to go this route, an easier (and much cheaper) option may be to try a slightly larger diameter actuator pipe restrictor. The standard one should be 1.2mm bore, so try 1.25 and 1.3mm alternatives and see what difference they make.
Old 23 September 2003, 06:07 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Think i will just stick with the standard air box then. I read through some of the past posts on this but was wandering if anyone had any problems with these to date. As you say the risks seem to out weight the small benefits (if any). Seems a shame that this MAF sensor is so delicate, would have liked the noise from the induction kit!!

cheers
Old 23 September 2003, 10:25 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

You could get an induction kit & also replace the MAF sensor at the same time with a new one - the new ones are of a new design which is much tougher - I don't think I've heard of one of them going wrong yet .
The overboost should be able to be fixed by fiddling with restrictors - John Banks looked into this a lot before someone gave him a method for remapping instead but there are lots of posts on how to adjust boost spikes from a while back.