Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil and dump valves

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2003, 06:13 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Could anyone please recommend which type of engine oil to use in a WRX sti v-ltd vers 5 please? Also which dump valve would you all recommend? ( which is the loudest)Cheers

[Edited by Tiss - 9/22/2003 11:06:20 PM]
Old 21 September 2003, 07:22 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I would recommend you stick with the standard dumpvalve as it performs as well as any alternative and is safer for the engine than all of the "noisy" valves.
If you are more worried about silly noises than performance and reliability maybe you should have bought a Citroen Saxo with a "phat" (whatever that means) exhaust system?

I use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w/50 in my car, although Motul 300V 15w/50 performs just as well. Other full synthetic oils (Castrol RS 10w/60, Silkolene Pro-S 10w/50 etc.) are also well regarded here. If you're new to the car and to Scoobynet, take some time reading up about oil change frequency (every 3-4000 miles ideally), and the oilchange technique itself.
Old 22 September 2003, 07:25 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

What grease monkey has said is very true.

the dump valves that are standard are very good.

also his recommendations for oil are equally choice.

But GM, why have you got to start your reply with rolleyes expression? did this guy did ask you to look down your nose at him?

if he wants a vent to atmosphere Dump Valve then fair enough.

comments regarding "silly noises" and "should have bought a citroen saxo" are not helpful and make you look pompous.

he is newcomer and should be welcomed.

maybe if you phrased it along the lines of of why you feel recirculating valves are safer it would have been politer.

my twopence.

Weava
Old 22 September 2003, 07:32 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

GM's alrite, he dont mean it!
Always brings a grin to my face
Old 22 September 2003, 07:59 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Leviathan,

fair enough.

it just is not my style. i do not think it is particuarly friendly to someone who is evidently new and has come on here for straight forward advice. admittedly he got straight forward advice, but with the sort of angle that alot of people (inc myself) could be forgiven for taking the wrong way.

i think GM is trying a bit too hard to pete lewis 2.

Weava
Old 22 September 2003, 08:04 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Weava, know what you mean, par for the course and all that or maybe i have a strange sense of humour

Gary.
Old 22 September 2003, 08:07 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i found pete lewis funny though

where abouts in plym are you?

i lived there for three years.

sorry Tiss *brief thread hijack mode on *

Weava

[Edited by mista weava - 9/22/2003 8:07:43 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 22 September 2003, 08:16 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Looe/Liskeard area m8,just outside Plym, been down here about 10 years, Reading before that. Been into scoobs about two & half years.
Old 22 September 2003, 08:21 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thaqts interesting - bought my scoob from castle motors,liskaerd!

mate lives in reading RG1.i have been into scoobs for about 18 mnths now.

great roads down your way - i currently live on the isle of wight (home) and we have some corkers here too!

got a whole bunch of scoobynetters coming over this w/end.

should be great fun

i was supposed to be in plym on thurs night djing, but have tonsilitus brought on by dreaded glandular fever - yuk!

getting better though and promised gig later in year

Weava
Old 22 September 2003, 10:15 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Weava, I don't profess to know who Pete Lewis is, and have no idea what his posting style is, but you can be confident that I'm not trying to be anything other than myself. My tongue is firmly in my cheek the bulk of the time, as anyone who reads my posts often will realise.

However, one of the pitfalls of any text based forum is that vocal and facial intonations are lost, and thus there's a danger that some won't "get" it. That's not something I can change, and I'm not about to alter my personality just because I'm posting on the internet, so I just accept it and don't lose any sleep over it.

My own view is that these cars are first and foremost serious performance sports cars, and I do feel that those whose first priority is a dump valve that's loud enough to make pedestrians sh*t themselves are slightly missing the point. I daresay I'm not the only one who feels that way, and if I choose to roll my eyes, this being a forum and all, I've every right to do so.

Whatever my underlying feelings on this issue though, they didn't prevent me providing a civil, concise and correct answer to Tizz's questions, which is kinda the important thing innit?

If you choose to b*tch and moan about not liking various people's posting styles, we'll be here until the cows come home and for no net gain. We're all different, and have different views, and I don't think there's any rule here that prevents us expressing them.
Old 22 September 2003, 10:28 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

"don't lose any sleep over it."

i have no intention of doing so.

"Whatever my underlying feelings on this issue though, they didn't prevent me providing a civil, concise and correct answer to Tizz's questions, which is kinda the important thing innit? "

you and i have a very different view of what civil.

"If you choose to b*tch and moan about not liking various people's posting styles, we'll be here until the cows come home and for no net gain. We're all different, and have different views, and I don't think there's any rule here that prevents us expressing them. "

be that as it may, but i still think you are rude and self-righteous, maybe thats my problem, but i am sure that i am not alone - best leave it at that eh?

no hard feelings,
Weava
Old 23 September 2003, 05:44 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers for the replies. didn't mean to cause this much hassle just wondering what you guys recommend? It's not first on my priority list just wondering if what I've heard about VTA dump valves damaging scoobies?
Old 23 September 2003, 06:28 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiss M8, at the end of the day if you want a dump valve then you go ahead and get one, its personal choice at the end of the day. There are plenty of people on here who like them and there are those that don't but if we all liked the same things it would be very boring.

Efficiency wise, your standard one works fine (upto a certain power) as GM pointed out but if you would like one that makes a woosh noise every time there are various options, TSL sell one, Turbosmart sell one, APS, plenty of choice m8y.

There are also ones that recirculate untill you start to hammer the car, they then recirculate some of the air and dump the remainder.

But if youre looking for performance gains then it would be better (IMHO) to look elsewhere.