Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

engine cutting out , any adv plz

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2003, 09:32 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 98 scoob runs fine on light / medium throttle but when i floor the pedal it cuts out violently at about 4000 rpm.Thinking it may be an overboost ecu cut out I have cleaned the boost solenoid ( 2 port) and the pipes , I have also cleaned the MAF sensor and gauze ( its the one that looks like a small filament ) Ive reset the ecu but the problem is still persisting. I cant see any faulty hose connections.Anyone offer any advice ?

Thanks

Steve
Old 19 September 2003, 12:59 AM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

Steve

Had the same problem on my MY98, ended up going back to the solenoid, giving it a really really good soaking/clean out with a good quality cleaning agent, then hey presto, we were at warp factor 10 again

Tim
Old 19 September 2003, 07:47 AM
big500
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tim , looks like its going to get cleaned again then. I suppose that it may be a problem that cleaning may not correct and therefore a replacement solenoid may be the cure. Is there any way I can prove that its definately the boost solenoid at fault ?

Steve
Old 19 September 2003, 12:54 PM
SuperFlyGuy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check also for the small brass restrictor in one of the thin pipes near the "T-piece" (follow the pipe back from the boost solenoid to the turbo). Do a search for this on here but i found in my '97 that this had blocked up slightly. Cleaned it out and hey presto.....
Old 19 September 2003, 07:13 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info SFG,
Spoke to Andy at GradeA today he said clean the MAP too so once again everything cleaned.Broke the little T piece removing the pipes so out came the superglue (as a temporary measure till tomorrow) and to make life easier removed the pipes from the wastegate actuator and manifold - Hey Presto noticed the tiniest of splits on the actuator pipe. Did a temporary repair with a piece of portex tubing and reassembled it.Now it doesnt cut out but it doesnt seem as agile as I think it should be ,(but only had a scoob for 5 weeks) and if I have been suffering overboost possibly it would have seemed rather quick ? and now the CEL light is on ! So due to the sun going down its no play time tonight, and I will interrogate the ecu tomorrow. Maybe it just needs a reset or I may have disturbed something ?
Has anyone else been down this road before ??

Thanks to all you guys for the advice
Old 19 September 2003, 07:25 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Clean the map...?
what is this please, I also have problems but more to do with a rough idle...
Old 19 September 2003, 08:05 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor ( I think ) its the black thing with 1 small pipe to it next to the boost solenoid
Old 20 September 2003, 03:05 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Sorted!!
Went to GradeA for a heater matrix and took my complete boost panel.Bought a s/h panel with all the pipework for 60 quid , fifteen mins later and an ecu reset - no missfire and no CEL.
Many thanks to Andy at GradeA - he even offered to swap the boost panel foc.
Heater matrix to change and she should be 100% again.
ps Andy , Adam says thanks for the hat

Steve
Old 21 September 2003, 10:20 AM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

What would you suggest as the best cleaning agent for all that stuff?
Old 21 September 2003, 04:04 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem as yourself ( ecu cut on overboost ? )and the problem turned out to be a tiny cut on one of the boost pipes ( the one that goes from the turbo wastegate actuator to the small T piece. As for the best solvent to use there seems to be 4 possible choices:
1 Servisol - a solvent based electrical contact cleaner , apparently its reasonably inert so shouldnt damage any rubber seals if there are any present in the solenoid.
2 WD40 - a light oil lubricant whilst it may lubricate the solenoid my opinion is it would only dissolve any oil based comtamination.
3 Brake cleaner - aerosol based solvent - the one I tried was carbontetrachloride I dont know how this would react with rubber seals but as I said I am not sure if there are any seals on the boost solenoid.
4 Carb Cleaner - I tried this too it is trichloroethylene which is a bloody good solvent but it will harm certain types of rubber based seal.

I went to GradeA and bought a replacement boost panel out of frustration before I found the offending split pipe
A word of warning be careful if you want to remove the boost pipes off the plastic T piece as its quite fragile and I broke mine being too heavy handed.

Also dependant on wherabouts you are you could always borrow my spare ( 2 port) to try if it would help you eleiminate things.

Steve

Edited to say Mavis Beacon .... see you in court lol

[Edited by big500 - 9/21/2003 4:43:30 PM]