Which Exhaust and Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 04:50 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Please please please help!

I am about to pick up my new car - an MY99 UK Turbo Impreza (which has 23500 miles FSSH and mint - for £9750). Problem is I want to change the exhaust for a nice sounding one which will boost bhp, but I dont know which one to go for. Also, I would like to hear the turbo and therefore need to change the standard air intake, but would like to boost bhp here too if poss.

I have emailed Pete Croney at Scoobysport but he cant supply a back box immediately. But is that the best one to go for? And are K&N induction kits the best for this car or what?

Please help me!!!!

Thanks,

Allen
Old 15 September 2003, 05:22 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stay away from induction kits as the MAF on MY99/00 is notoriously sensitive.

If you change the standard filter then go for a non oil-based/permeated one to ensure the MAF doesn't get contaminated.

My advice is stay away from ITG as the green gunk gets everywhere and go for the green cotton panel filter. Pete will sell you this

Cheers
Si
Old 15 September 2003, 05:51 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As Si says, don't fit an induction kit. The Green and K&N panel filters work fine.

As far as unleashing more power and allowing you to hear the turbo more clearly, a decat downpipe will do both. A backbox on its own won't do much bar make your car noisier.

There are plenty of people making/selling good exhaust components. If you don't want to wait for Pete to get stocks back in, try somewhere like Hayward & Scott or TSL.
Old 15 September 2003, 06:53 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

im selling a magnex de-cat non resonated centre section for classics if ur interested,only a month old,changed it for a blitz,they sound great and will probably release approx 6 bhp,maybe more as it replaces the back cat and will still pass mot ok.

£50 free delivery

dazza1802@aol.com
Old 15 September 2003, 09:10 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at the March 2003 edition of Fast Car and they were doing a rolling road test on several Impreza's.

It would seem that the combination of a full system and induction kit can put the standard car to 250bhp.

When you say that the MAF is sensitive, what exactly do you mean? Will the induction kit kill it or bring on the old electrical fault light? My friend has a 94 Jap WRX and an HKS induction kit which sounds great. He recommends it.

I also saw a MY 97 UK Turbo with a full Scoobysport system and K&N with boost controller (what does this consist of?!!) running at 274bhp!

Please help!!
Old 15 September 2003, 09:28 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

When you say that the MAF is sensitive, what exactly do you mean?
It means the MAF sensor on the MY99/00 cars has a reputation for being easier to damage than some of the other model years.

The problem isn't so much killing the MAF sensor in itself (they're only £70 to replace), the problem is that a partially failed MAF sensor can potentially blow your engine up by making it run lean, and you won't know it's partially failed until the damage is done.

At end of day it doesn't matter if the induction kit "sounds great" if it makes your engine eat itself. Try not to be quite so preoccupied with bits that make your car look/sound "better", concentrate more on keeping it in tip-top health. Unless of course you've got deep pockets and don't care if the engine pops every now and again.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/15/2003 9:31:22 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 09:35 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

I guess a panel filter will be better then !! Dont want to be blowing up the engine in me new car this way!!

Will a K&N panel filter cause any probs at all then? And will that give any more noise?!

Also, Pete Croney said the following;

"The silencer is direct replacement and adds approx 15-18bhp!! You can indeed add the rest of the system at your convenience and the full system will add 25-30bhp with much better turbo spool up."

This was referring to the Scoobysport exhaust. Is he accurate with his figures? And will anything need adjusted or be in danger if an exhaust is added?

With, say a K&N panel filter and a Scoobysport back box, what gains am I likely to get?

Thanks guys,

Allen
Old 15 September 2003, 09:42 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

FYI, I am keen to keep the car in tip top condition!! I just want to modify it sensibly. Am not keen on the expensive pop which seems to happen with things go Pete Tong!

I spent ages trying to find the right car and want it to go better and sound good too. I am glad for any/all advice. I have potentially saved myself £000's already thanks to you guys!!!

[Edited by djhorace - 9/15/2003 9:45:13 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 10:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I've no personal experience of the SS branded system, but if Pete is quoting figures, I wouldn't argue with them. 25-30bhp extra is reasonable from a good complete exhaust system plus a good panel filter, although IME it's the downpipe decat that makes a bigger difference than the backbox.

The K&N panel will give slightly more induction/wastegate noise than the OE paper filter, as well as a noticeable improvement in breathing.

If you get one, it's worth following the advice in the instructions regarding fitting the filter with the airbox out of the car, as they're a mare to fit properly with everything in situ.

Other thing to make sure of when you take it out of the packet is that there aren't any loose bits of wire mesh on it anywhere. Bits like that won't do your turbo or engine any good, so give it a good check over before you put it in.
Old 15 September 2003, 10:20 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

You seem to know a bit about Scoobs mate. Is Pete a good guy to deal with?

Which exhaust do you recommend?
Old 15 September 2003, 10:25 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

I replaced middle cat with magnex and got 238 on rollers 99UK turbo. the down pipe is supposed to give a further 12bhp and more noise
ken
Old 15 September 2003, 10:54 PM
djhorace
Scooby Newbie

Was that the back box and the centre cat removed? I heard the Scoobs can pass the MOT still with a Scoobysport Back Box and centre cat replacement pipe....

I am keen to keep the car emissions legal and keep up the Scoobaru warranty..
Old 16 September 2003, 07:45 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

One of the most popular aftermarket exhaust systems for scoobs is the one made by Hayward and Scott. Scooby Sport used to supply these I think but now seem to prefer Janspeed exhausts.

As for emmissions, there are cats in both the downpipe and the centre. According to some people you'll be fine with just the centre. This would mean you can go ahead and get a replacement dp, which is where you'll see big benefits in increased bhp and drivability.

There's a groupbuy on at the moment but you'll have to be quick. It ends tomorrow.
Old 16 September 2003, 07:51 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I am keen to keep the car emissions legal and keep up the Scoobaru warranty..
You will be unable to do both of these if you wish to fit a number of aftermarket parts. If you bought the car with a Subaru "Proven" warranty, or another firm's via an independent dealer, you should really check with them what modifications you can apply without invalidating it.
Old 16 September 2003, 08:16 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I had a full SS system (and green cotton AF) from Pete about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I haven't stopped grinning yet

If your pocket can stand it, get a remap as well as you will have everything you want - about 270/280 hp, burble, turbo whistle (even when pootling around a Multi storey car park ) and a lovely noise when you boot it. Pick a good tunnel, open the window and .......

The only problem is, if your brakes on your MY99 are anything like mine were, you will need some better ones.......

And so it goes on - enjoy
Old 16 September 2003, 10:56 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I forgot to state the obvious that if you go for a full system etc, you will have everything you want .......except the warranty

At least you won't have to deal with main dealers any more