My 97 Wrx Fuel cut

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 10:05 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

does anybody know what this is set at?
and is there such a thing as soft fuel cut?

the reason i ask is that i had my car on a rolling road for a power run yesterday and there was sum difficultys with boost spikes

the power was riseing well and quite fast untill 4700 rpm where buy it dropped and then started to raise up once again

my 276bhp wrx pumped out 264 bhp @ 6555 rpm
the torque rose to 260 lbft @ 4500 rpm then dropped like a brick afterwards and never recoverd

the car had small mods to pipes etc etc with samco hoseing and stuff, a decat center section and a pannel filter, boost acording to my scoobymonitor was hitting 1.35 and then holding 1.1 bar

the rolling road operator said the boost was fluctuating which caused the power to drop, and by the time it recoverd it was to late, the thing is that the car never shudderd, its never "hit a brick wall" on the road and its never behaved anything like my mates 97 uk turbo when he hits his fuel cut (at a lower preasure)

the remedy was to fit a dawse device, we set it up roughly on the road (3rd gear only as we were short on time) the car was hitting 1.05 bar boost, we took it back to the rollers abd managed to get another power run done (this was at a busy rolling road day so places were a bit tight) the result

281 bhp @ 6532 rpm
258 lbft @ 5000 rpm till 5500 rpm
ovb this is much better, i have scince tweaked the device on the way home n small steps and last nite i did a further test, the car was hitting 1.25bar but this was beguining to fluctuate a touch from 1.21 to 1.25.

any tech thoughts?
my mate has a uk car from the same year and his seams to hit a really violent fuel cut at about 14 psi ish?
Old 15 September 2003, 11:17 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Micky,

On a MY97/98 UK Car, fuel cut is 1.25bar although this has to be held for a second or two before the fuel cut is triggered not sure about a WRX but I wouldn't have though it would be too different.

If your boost is modulating, it may be worth shortening the wastegate actuator rod a little to reduce creep.

Andrew...
Old 15 September 2003, 02:13 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Dirty solenoid?

that would tend to explain why fitting the dawes seemd to imprive matters.

Rich
Old 15 September 2003, 08:46 PM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

Got a similar problem on my 98 uk model (running full scoobysport exhaust (de-catted)and hks panel filter). When giving it full throttle I'm getting a fuel cut (and I'm not talking soft cut either!) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as well sometimes. Doesn't always do it, ran perfect at Crail all day yesterday with no probs at all. Anyone had this before? If so, I take it solution is to tweek the actuator rod??

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 September 2003, 12:12 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

johnny gav mentiond the solenoid

the thing is it never did this "hitting a brick wall" thing that people keep saying, and i know it was boosting to 1.35 and then dropping to 1.1

i read on the sidc site about the 97 model cars having the cut set at 1.25 bar, steves 97 uk car cuts and a much lower preasure (or his guage is faulty?) when hes cuts it really slams and jerks

i had planed to do sum hard driving on the way home from work tonite as the roads were dead but compleatly forgot, cruised home listening to prodigy lol
will do sum testing 2morow nite
Old 16 September 2003, 07:19 AM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

good show - let me know how you get on. Mine definetly hits a brick wall like, its a real pain.

What I can't understand is that it was completely fine on Sunday doing 1/4 miles, and I was driving it very hard, wierd....

Tim
Old 16 September 2003, 11:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mine was also fine doing 1/4 miles i was doing 13.2 in the dry and 13.4 in the wet

the only time it gets near the top of the rev band in 4th is just as i was crossing the line, so maybe in the lower gears it didnt cut the boost? it did seam like it was crazy from the start line and then it tailed off, but i was asuming this was down to the 4wd system