Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

To Induct or not to Induct..... Comments Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 09:36 AM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running a MY99 UK car, TD05 turbo, equal headers, full decat (2.5"), Walbro fuel pump, fse reg, Samco hoses, TMIC. Air inlet is standard with K&N filter panel. The engine has recently been rebuilt following big end failure and is almost ready to be remapped.

I'm thinking of fitting an induction kit e.g. APS cold air kit etc and would appreciate any comments about the pros and cons.

Thanks

Greg
Old 09 September 2003, 09:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Do NOT fit the APS cold air kit without a remap, and preferably a remap that gets rid of the dependency on MAF (ie if you're thinking of ecutek, don't do it, if you're thinking of LINK then you're OK).

The APS has been found to seriously affect MAF readings which has the effect of critically under-fuelling the engine... This is not a Good Thing!

I ran a K&N 57i kit on my MY00 with no problems, although when it was refitted to the car after I sold it, apparently the car was running lean...

I wouldn't fit an induction kit before your remap, and I would run a knock sensor and lambda (AFR) meter afterwards just for peace of mind - but I'm a coward when it comes to this stuff
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 09 September 2003, 12:48 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

The APS induction kit can be used with an Ecutek remap by adjusting the MAF scaling map. John Banks has done his own car and my car and the fuel mixtures are perfect. It's just on one year now since my remap and there are no problems whatsoever.

The only thing is that John Banks has stopped remapping cars, so you will have to find an Ecutek tuner, (if you want to go that route), who will be willing to remap a car with the APS induction kit as I think most don't want to remap cars with the APS CAI. Things may have changed now and there may be tuners who will map cars with the APS CAI as what I have stated above was the case a few months back.

Cheers,

George.

[Edited by WREXY - 9/9/2003 12:50:01 PM]
Old 09 September 2003, 01:32 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ah, I didn't realise that - cheers George!
Old 09 September 2003, 04:40 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Nick & George, much appreciated.

Does anyone have a view on the benefits of fitting an induction kit over the standard airbox?

Thanks

Greg
Old 09 September 2003, 11:49 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

With the APS CAI and a proper remap, be it an ECU that does away with the MAF sensor or an Ecutek jobbie which requires the MAF sensor, you will get slightly lower charge temps as you are getting cool air through the wing to the turbo. A lower charge temperature means more power as you decrease, to a degree, chances of det. This may allow the ECU to run a little more boost or a tad more ignition advance.

The K&N 57 kit gets good remarks on here. The only thing is that it's placed in the engine bay so you may be drawing warmer air at certain times than you would with the APS CAI which sits in the wing away from the under bonnet heat. If using the 57 kit, you could always build a partition box to shield the induction kit from the warm air of the engine bay.

Cheers,

George.

[Edited by WREXY - 9/9/2003 11:56:39 PM]
Old 10 September 2003, 12:25 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread. What would you use to make the partition box for the induction kit? I've just bought a k&n for my MY98 and was thinking about making one myself.

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2003, 03:09 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Smile

George, thanks again for your comments. A little more food for thought!

Cheers

Greg