Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Apexi SAFC settings

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2003, 05:59 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Anyone done any playing with the SAFC on a classic shape Impreza?

I've read sooo much about it my head is gonna explode!

Anyone know % settings at specific increasing throttle for low and high throttle inputs?

Installed it, reset factory settings (basically gives zero correction whatever RPM), idle seems a bit rough even though I have not changed any correction percentages.

Am I right in thinking the best way to 'tune' it is to hold throttle at desired RPM and adjust correction by ear?, from what I've read it seems to be a case of; hold rpm, listen for exhaust note, adjust safc, + fuelling until car sound smooth, then - fuelling until it just starts to sound slightly less smooth and as though it's gonna pop(for some reason)?

If this is so, seems feasible for LOW throttle settings, but how can you 'tune' high (+50%), throttle settings?, surely load needs to be used to gain specific rpms at 50%+ throttle?.

Think I need a break from it
Old 06 September 2003, 09:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I right in thinking the best way to 'tune' it is to hold throttle at desired RPM and adjust correction by ear?, from what I've read it seems to be a case of; hold rpm, listen for exhaust note, adjust safc, + fuelling until car sound smooth, then - fuelling until it just starts to sound slightly less smooth and as though it's gonna pop(for some reason)?
Most certainly not, you'll probably blow up your engine. Effectively you are asking how to map a car, which does not have a short answer. Do lots of reading before doing anything at all.
Old 06 September 2003, 10:39 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I know it sounds bad John, but it's the only setup instructions I've read (these were from a tuning company in the USA), this is what I'm saying, surely someone has a more technical explanation.

Just wanted to know how people with subarus have set them up. I'd never put my engine at risk.

One of the earth connectors for the safc was not right on the splice conector, sorted that and it's running as normal with no adjustments added yet. It just looks pretty at the moment, I'll either learn how to do the adjustment (manual is next to useless), or find someone that knows them inside out.
Old 06 September 2003, 11:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You need a knocklink and a wideband AFR meter to do this properly, plus ideally a capable fuel system with an adjustable regulator.

Then you can decide what AFR you want to run by RPM at WOT and adjust for it, and hope that you don't screw the timing too much - you see as you richen the mixture by increasing MAF voltage, the timing will probably also retard (unless you are at the end of the map already).... in some ways mapping a piggyback like this, at least for more than little tweaks, requires a thorough knowledge of the underlying ECU map you are piggybacking onto and fooling to make it read different areas of.

The situations you can get yourself into are complex.

What is the spec of your car, and what are you trying to adjust and why?
Old 07 September 2003, 11:06 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks John

My main worry was when I fitted it, reset it to no adjustment, and the car was idling poorly. I presumed it needed setup from the start, but as I said it was a dodgy earth (which I sorted, and it run as it would without the SAFC). My main concern was that it would need adjustment even to it's base settings to allow running the same as standard ECU controlled settings.

I don't need this SAFC, I have a scoobyecu module which takes care of everything for me. It was more that I like the look of it (sad I know).

I presume it would be of use to someone who has no remap, but has mods such as exhaust, air cleaner, boost increase, etc (more so for an import).

It does offer a few good points without actually using it as a tuning tool, such as displaying real time voltage for air flow sensor and throttle position sensor. I like things that tell me what is going on. I want to find the standard/correct voltages for my car, and then I can check against the values given.
Old 07 September 2003, 12:15 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

How can the safc display manifold pressure?

It wires into throttle position signal, RPM signal and airflow signal.

I've read it should be able to display boost pressure (ie manifold pressure), but how does it do this just using rpm, throttle position and airflow (at MAF), does it calculate the manifold pressure from these variables?. Why does it not source a signal from the manifold absolute pressure sensor?.

Mine doesn't show the boost pressure, this was one of the reasons I wanted it. Does it require different wiring to get the boost reading?. The manual is about as much use as a one legged man in an **** kicking competition.

I've also read elsewhere that wiring the blue wire (usually for cars with two airflow meters) up to the o2 sensor signal wire can display in the check voltage part of the SAFC real time o2 senor voltage, this would be handy to for monitoring purposes. Again nothing in the manual about this, anyone have experience of this?.
Old 07 September 2003, 01:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It can't calculate MAP, needs to be attached to MAP.. I believe some cars use MAP as the load input, on these you could display MAP instead of MAF.