Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2003, 01:38 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I moved the Scooby this morning and I have oil over the drive. Not a great deal but enough. It must have been leaking a while becuase my oil level is on min. Looked underneath without jacking and oil residue underneath the front left of the car. Filled the oil up and ran the engine but nothing except for a small drip from the front left of the car behind the wheel (Directly under the power steering resevoir). Any ideas?

Thanks

J

Old 06 September 2003, 02:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Is that left as you look at the car from the front, or left as you look from the driver's seat? The PAS reservoir is on the right hand side of the car!

There are a few potential sources of leaks in that area. A slightly loose oil filter is by far the likeliest, along with (depending where it's coming from) leaking sump plug. Less likely would be cam cover gasket, or possibly the oil cooler joint to the block.

Getting underneath and having a look has to be your next move.
Old 06 September 2003, 02:21 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

Drivers side. Directly under power steering reservoir I think but somewhere at the bottom where I cant see. Hard to tell because the oil stain is spread out and there are no drips. Definately drivers side though. Where is the oil filter located?

Going in for service Tuesday but if I can sort if before then I wont have to pay an extra ££££ for them to sort it. Well thats if I can sort it!!!

Cheers
Old 06 September 2003, 02:32 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yeah, driver's side is the right side of the car, not the left. Filter is that side, below and behind the PAS pump.

If your car is going in for a service, it'll have an oil and filter change, so if it is a leaking filter or sump plug, it'll almost certainly come back sorted. If it's a leaking cam cover gasket though, it'd be better to get them to sort it at the same time.

If you don't want to look yourself you could always just give the garage a heads-up when you drop it off...

Old 06 September 2003, 02:36 PM
Janner
Scooby Regular

As you can tell not mechanically minded Going to get it up on ramps and have a look and if there isn't a great big 'X' marks the spot type oil leak thing then will get garage to sort.

Cheers