bhp hunt (on a budget!)

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 02:27 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi everybody.

Only had my MY97 wagon Turbo (UK) a couple of months know but it is time to start having fun with it.

I have already got a scoobysport rear silencer and K&N panel filter. The next thing I was considering was the TSL-motorsport decat down pipe and centre section. Has anyone else gone down this route? If so what are your opinions? TSL are claiming (I'm not disputing this in any way you understand) up to 25bhp on certain models, what sort of gains do you think would be realistic on my UK turbo? For the money of these items I though this was a great way of starting to get some proper bhp. Until that is I can afford the Motec engine management system.

Any views about the exhaust parts ie drivability, bhp, or noise would be greatly appreciated before I make a decision.

Cheers
Brett

PS I just had a look at the dyno curves for standard UK cars, is it me or do they seem very high compared to Subaru stated bhp and torque figures?

Thanks again.
Old 21 August 2003, 02:36 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Sorry, if i had read a little further down I would have seen that someone had already posted something similar. Would still appreciate any power gain info though as the other post seemed to be more about the subsequent noise of the exhaust.
cheers
brett
Old 21 August 2003, 03:49 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Decat centre - not a lot of difference, but should be done if aiming to 'go further'
Decat DP - huge difference. Don't worry about the power bit, the car is just much more driveable. It adds quite a bit of noise, though, espeically in a hunchback! 25bhp may well be achievable over a completely standard system, though.
Dyno curves - yes, the numbers are conservative for UK models (and the JDM models usually won't reach what they are meant to - as standard - because of the pants fuel we get here), but be very wary of the RR used. Powerstation - I think - get almost exactly what Subaru say (usually a few hp over), but PE can be 30 over, easily. RR numbers are good for comparison within themselves (ie same car on the same day on the same roller with different set-ups), but treat the numbers as just numbers, rather than something with any meaning.
Hope that's a start
Old 22 August 2003, 09:31 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nom

I think i shall do the DP and centre section together as in the future i do intend to have the Motec system installed on the car.

Thanks for your comments

Brett
Old 22 August 2003, 12:32 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Do the downpipe NOW! I did and I love it!!

Got a centre too cos I, like you, will be reamming at some point (and bolting a bigger turbo on too )
Old 23 August 2003, 02:59 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Smile

You could try a dawes (or similar) manual boost controller which gives great power per pound and works well with a decat. Plenty on here about those little devices...

Jon
Old 23 August 2003, 03:12 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I just litterally finished fitting an HKS super drager full de cat system and im grinning loudly, sounds awesome and goes like the proverbial off a shovel
Old 23 August 2003, 04:54 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for comments and suggestions everybody.

I have just returned from having the Downpipe and centre section fitted.
Took the chaps 2hrs+ to fit it. Will have to modify the heatshield as it no longer fits.

Sounds GREAT!!! )

Have yet to to properly try the car but just on the little blip home I think there are midrange improvements.

Happy Chappy

Will look into the manual boost control devices. That Motec system is a little out of reach at the mo.

Thanks again all.

Brett
Old 23 August 2003, 04:55 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

On thing that I have noticed is that for the first time I can actually hear the turbo whistling. Being en ex saab turbo owner i really missed that. I know, how sad is that??

Brett