Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU question....

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 07:48 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a UK MY00 running a full stainless downpipe and system with no cats and a K&N induction kit.

I was going to opt for a re-map but have seen that some people have changed ECU's altogether.

What gains if any would I get if I changed my ECU for an STI (V6) one?

Is there anything else I would need to change?

Cheers
Old 20 August 2003, 07:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pointless. STi ECU will not start the car because the cam and crank position sensors are reversed for this reason - to make them incompatible.

If it did it would be inappropriate because amongst other things, there is a different turbo, different fuel octane, and perhaps most important of all, the heads and pistons are not 8000 RPM safe (plus the map is all wrong for the different cams).
Old 20 August 2003, 08:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your only STI ECU option for a UK car is the one sold by Prodrive as part of the PPP as this is a std STI ECU remapped for a UK car.

Other than that, then you're looking at an EcuTek remap of your existing one or replacing it with a Link, Motec, Gems or Autronics.

It all comes down to cost and what modifications you want from your car as some ECU's offer different features and flexibility.

For the money the EcuTek remaps are great value.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/20/2003 8:05:08 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 08:18 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Fair points chaps, cheers.
Old 21 August 2003, 01:49 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Hi John,

Re "STi ECU will not start the car because the cam and crank position sensors are reversed for this reason - to make them incompatible."

Looking at the subaru wiring schematics for the UK (97 vintage) wiring looms, where the signals are reversed it refers to the changes as being related to the presence, or not, of an imobiliser. At least one other wire is routed differently depending on presence or not of an imobiliser.

IIRC, didn't pretty much all UK cars, after a certain point, come with an immobiliser as standard? This would explain the reversal of signals when looking at Jap spec STI looms and UK looms for equivelant equipment. This makes a little more snese to me than just reversing signals purely to make two models incompatible to eachother. For one thing, it would mean another spec change in the loom, which would be expensive, especially for such a trivial reason.

Moray