cutting out at startup

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 03:01 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hi all
got a 93 turbo which turns over starts to catch/catches for a second or so then cuts out
wont run at all but will repeat the same all day long
turn over start to fire then cuts out
its got a pirana alarm/immob fitted but i think thats not at fault because it will fire
can anyone give me any ideas where to start first
cheers richie
Old 21 August 2003, 05:59 PM
chalkie1
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Richie,

I bought a 97 Classic Turbo a few months ago. The previous owner insisted that the best way to start it was to simply turn the key and do not touch any of the peddles. Most of the time, this worked fine. However, I did have trouble starting it occasionally and spoke about it to a mate of mine who knows a thing or two about scoobs. He suggested that I put my feet flat to the floor on both the clutch and accelerator and then turn the key. Amazingly, it started first time! Apparently, it has something to do with the re-setting of the inertia switches on the turbo models...I dunno for sure, all I know is that it worked for me...
Old 21 August 2003, 07:42 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You've been told a fairy story. There are no switches on the turbocharged cars that will be "reset" by holding your feet on the pedals while cranking.

Depressing the clutch before starting is good practice, but not for the reason you were told. Doing this reduces the load on the starter motor as the drag from the gearbox will be removed.

There is no "good" reason for holding the throttle open when cranking. At best, it can compensate for a sticking idle speed control valve by allowing more air into the engine (and thus there's a hint about where your problem might be). At worst it can mess up the ECU's throttle position switch and ISCV settings.
Old 21 August 2003, 07:45 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

RichieH - catalogue of potential causes for this, especially given the age of the car. Best option would probably be to get it on a Select Monitor at a dealers to take the guesswork out.

If you can get it to start and keep going by holding the throttle open, the likeliest culprit is the idle speed control valve. If it won't run consistently at all, suspect failing MAF/crank/cam sensor/coilpacks, although there are plenty of other less likely causes.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/21/2003 7:47:39 PM]
Old 21 August 2003, 08:45 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi m8 the nearest i can describe it is as though the fuel is being cut as soon as the engine reaches idle speed
will get the multimeter out at the weekend to have a play
ive also got 2 other good ones to swap parts with to try to sort it
cheers richie