Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

big ends/main bearings

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 11:28 PM
WEBSTER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

How long and how easy is it to change big end shells and possibly main bearing shells on a 94 wrx can it easily be done on a ramp with engine in the car or is it an engine out job , i've not got any knocking but mileage is aproaching 80k miles and thought it wouldn't hurt to change them ,

any info greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Matt.
Old 15 August 2003, 11:38 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Big job, engine out, and in a million bits. They are not the type of thing you change as a matter of course.
If they aint broke, leave em alone, replacing them for no reason doesnt really serve any purpose.
I have seen engines with over 120,000 miles and the bearings have been in excellent condition, but I have also seen engines with 30,000 miles, in not so good condition.

If you have any reason to suspect there is a bearing problem, then go ahead, but it is a very big job, and if you are paying someone to do it, it will cost you a lot.
Old 15 August 2003, 11:45 PM
WEBSTER
Scooby Regular

Cool

no i wouldn't be paying i'd be doing it myself but i was just wondering,
i've got an annoying little rattle at low revs at low speed when pulling in 3rd 4th 5th could be just a bit of pinking/knock is a knock sensor worth fitting if so (usual questions coming) how much, how hard to fit , where do i get one from,
thanks for your reply
Matt.
Old 16 August 2003, 01:05 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As Steve says, there's no point changing these bits simply for the hell of it. If the engine's not misbehaving, leave well alone!

As for the noise you're hearing, it won't be det at low revs/boost/speeds, and it won't be from the bearings either.

Could be a million and one causes for that. Anything from loose heatshields to gearbox damage. You'll just have to keep listening until you can isolate where it's coming from.
Old 16 August 2003, 07:25 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Webster
Are the heat sheilds ok ? and are the brake lines too near the bulkhead ? these produce a very annoying rattle .

yes there is a knock sensor it is at the back of the block on the passengers side , you can see it just under the inlet mainfold . If you think it is the knock sensor then I could loan you one to test . Are you at the rally day today ?? if so come and find me or ring me on 07703 349052