Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

best topmount

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2003, 12:49 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the MRT uprated topmount with their larger bonnet scoop and it's excellent.

I'm running 344bhp with a TD05 at the mo @ 1.4 bar without any problems. Using plenty of NF of course too.

I've even experimented up to 1.85bar and can only manage to light one yellow on the knocklink.

Cheers

Rich
Old 11 August 2003, 12:50 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

APS are pretty good too.....
Old 11 August 2003, 12:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm not convinced you'd notice the lag on a FMIC. I think people think they feel it because of the additional power you get out of the FMIC after the TMIC would have given up makes the 'surge' longer. The huge additional safety margin through consistency is worth the FMIC every time!
I like APS TMIC & FMICs, by the way - they're as tough as anything so no bent fins
Old 11 August 2003, 04:27 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I think the MRT and Hyperflow are generally considered the best in Oz, APS falls somewhat short due to the cast end-tanks. Hyperflow rebadged by TurboXS is also very popular in the US.

Do some searching on the MRT forums, there has been some fairly heated debate on the subject recently.

Andrew...
Old 11 August 2003, 07:46 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've got the APS tmic, and the heat soak p*sses me off in this weather It's large size makes any sort of physical insulation/isolation difficult too.

Has anyone grafted an STi8 scoop onto a classic?

Richard
Old 11 August 2003, 10:06 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replies has got me thinking
Old 11 August 2003, 11:54 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

From what I've gathered from posts on here and other forums, an uprated TMIC is a waste of time. Best to save up, even if it takes a bit longer and do it right once and for good with a FMIC. There is heat soak in hot weather with any TMIC. I know you'll say, get water spray and all that, but IMHO do it once and do it right with a FMIC.

Cheers,

George.
Old 12 August 2003, 02:38 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

lol, dont believe what your hear, instead try it out your self and then you will know, i know rick get 340 bhp on his uk impreza, and with a tmic, as well so if they were pants then im shore it wouldnt produce that sort of power, and yes ive uprated mine
Old 12 August 2003, 09:31 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

An FMIC is always going to be better than a TMIC. Given the same 'air' it will cool more as there's more of it, but it gets better air as it's up front anyway; it'll be more consistent as it's not sitting above a huge heatsource so is 'safer'. You might be able to get good power out of a TMIC, but you can get better out of an FMIC!
Old 12 August 2003, 11:22 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

My other car has a front mount (that should be a bumper sticker shouldn't it?)

Comparing the two, obviously the front mount is better, it gets way better airflow (rather than being fed through a bonnet scoop), it doesn't have the same heatsoak problems and it and it's about twice the size and isn't REALLY that much more expensive.

However, if you want to keep the car looking fairly standard and be able to swap it back at the drop of a hat, then the uprated TMIC wins hands down. That's why I opted for the TMIC on my second Scoob as I had to hack off half the bumper to fit my HKS front mount on the other car and I didn't want to do all that again.

With respect to lag, THEORETICALLY the extra pipework on an FMIC will increase lag, but just think in real terms how quick the air is flowing through that pipework, the extra delay will be so small as to be all but unnoticeable unless maybe you have a turbo which is too small for the job, then it may be more of a problem.

Cheers

Rich
Old 08 November 2003, 12:40 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i know that a front mount would probly be better but i am trying to avoid the lag so can anyone tell me what the best top mount is

i have a my00

[Edited by X SOOOBY - 8/11/2003 12:48:41 PM]