Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Judder - Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 11:06 AM
yallop
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY01 WRX with 26K miles purchased in March this year. When driving from cold the car had very bad clutch judder for the first few starts. However, with the summer weather the problem appears to have gone away. I understand there is a service campaign with a modified clutch which can be fitted under warranty. The car is due for it's 30K service and I have asked the dealer (Cheam Motors) about the clutch. They say it depends on how bad the judder is, but I can't demonstrate it without putting the car in cold storage first! They also said I would have to sign a disclaimer to confirm I would pay for the work if the existing clutch is worn out. Has anyone here had their clutch replaced under warranty or had problems with the dealer trying to charge for the job. I am already facing a big bill for the service and don't really want to end up paying for a clutch! However, as it is a 45 mile drive to the dealer I would like to get everything done at once.

I have also noted the car makes a whining noise when in reverse with or without clutch engaged. I assume this is normal due to the AWD/Performance gears. Am I correct to assume this!
Old 08 August 2003, 11:47 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It would appear there are lots of us in the same boat, (read the two threads lower down), my MY00 is also booked in in a few weeks for the same problem, but I know also they wont be able to replicate the problem unless the weather changes dramatically !.
I suppose signing something would be an option for the dealer to cover themselves, but 26k I can't imagine the clutch is worn out unless it's had a really hard life (which if it had would probably mean it wouldn't suffer from judder), I'd be inclined to sign on that condition only and that if it's not worn out then the work is paid under warranty, from reading on here Cheam seem to be pretty good, so keep us informed.

Ian
Old 08 August 2003, 01:10 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Had two replacements under warranty for juddering in my MY00, first at around 16K and second after much badgering at about 25K. Latest one was supposed to be a modified one introduced to overcome the problem and so far seems better although probably a still bit early to say, it does have a different feel to it.

I know everyone says 'they all do that' but at the end of the day they shouldn't and it's up to Subaru to sort it.

ps. I didn't have to sign anything before the work was done the Dealer just had to submit the warranty claim to Subaru.

Old 11 August 2003, 03:44 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Why not leave the car with them overnight, so they can start the car up from cold, ask them to put the car in the coldest spot at the dealership. Then it is up to them to try it, but normally, most dealers are so "aware" of the judder fault, they will request a warranty replacement without hesitation,normally find if you talk nicely to them, they will do so without much of a problem.
They are normally only accepting claims "up to" 30k, so be advised to roll into the garage before the miles deadline, or they will have an excuse "on a plate"....
Old 11 August 2003, 05:09 PM
yallop
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I will book the car in at the end of the month and post the result here.
Old 12 August 2003, 09:37 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have now located the Technical Service Bulletin (03-51-02r) from a site in the USA, which pretty much states that the dealer should change all the bits "without" much hesitation so long as the car is under 30k. So assuming this is a world wide bulletin (which in theory it must be) you shouldn't have a problem getting the parts changed under warranty.
Old 12 August 2003, 09:40 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

To see a copy of the TSB look here.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1836
Old 12 August 2003, 10:04 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I've tried this line with my dealer but he won't look at the problem.

Anyone know of the date of the UK bulletin.. or who i need to contact from Subaru UK to get this moving.

Mine judders like a bugger for the first 10 mins - and if theres a fix i want it sorting!

Jza
Old 12 August 2003, 11:54 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would have thought the above TSB relates world wide (so includes UK), which dealer ?, maybe try another for a second opinion..
Old 12 August 2003, 02:04 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Contact "Customer Relations manager" at subaru UK
Tel: 0121 522 2000 ext 6342.
he will be the best guy to speak to as he will then have words with the dealer you are having problems with.
Old 15 August 2003, 02:02 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to dealer again... they will ring the warrenty people to "see what they can do"....

Jza
Old 15 August 2003, 03:00 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had mine changed at 36k. They were trying to get me to sign stuff but i simply said, "stuff you, you make me service the thing every 7500 miles, i've given you over 2k to do little more than change spark plugs and oil for me to retain my warranty so now you can give me a £250 clutch" seemed to have done the trick

Incedentally my car is modded and no one batted an eyelid So much for keeping ya car standard otherwise you void the warranty!

Just be firm and polite and you should get it seen to. They know the problem exists so test drives etc are not required, they have thousands of documented cases no doubt. Let 'em know that you are aware that they are trying to run a business etc, but it's not like you are after an engine rebuild or anything, just a clutch.

Incedentally, when i went to pick the car up, the service guy showed me a warranty DECLINE for..........get this........... a cup holder for a forester

Talk about lack of consistencey. Take advantage I say.

Mikey
Old 15 August 2003, 10:33 PM
stiffler-doo
Scooby Newbie

Had my clutch replaced under warranty with 18,000 miles on the clock, it had the modified flywheel,clutch, plate and bearings fitted with no problems, in fact my dealer suggested it to me that it was the only way to cure the problem, done 1500 miles judder completely gone.