Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Trouble - don't know what it is anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2003, 12:08 PM
stratone
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello

I've had a lot of problems with my car since an EcuTek2 upgrade. Probably has nothing to do with the ECU, just that the car runs harder. It's done 84000 km, recently changed timing belt and plugs. 3" exhaust from turbo, with cat. Standard filter with resonator removed and ports (or cones or whatever) both before and after filter.

First the car lost boost to about 0.5 bar, but reved as usual. No check engine lamp. After cleaning the solenoids, sensors and hoses, this problem seems gone.

A bit later, the car started to jerk heavily on throttle. We logged with delta dash and the o2 sensor gave strange readings. This problem comes and goes, and it's very noticable...

And now. The car has been running fine until I fitted the second intake port, after the filter. The car now has serious boost problems. Cold idle goes up and down like mad and it looses power sometimes. All this sounds like the MAF sensor, I know. Very probable I damaged it while fitting the cone...

But, when on full throttle, I sometimes hear a "paff" from the right of the engine, and boost flies through the roof for a split second. The boost goes up and down and when coming off throttle the car accelerates harder.

No error codes are reported when connecting the two black connectors.

I have fitted a flow control valve instead of the restrictor, so it's not overboost. I have the same problems on lower boost.

Broken IC hoses? MAF? O2? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Claes Wikdahl
SSI sweden
Old 06 August 2003, 02:45 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

You mention that the car was running fine until you changed to a cone filter, if I have understood correctly.

Can I ask which cone filter you fitted? Some cone filters are the wrong diameter at the point where the MAF sits and this has a dramatic effect on fuelling... always making it too lean.

Have you tried replacing the original filter box and filter?
Old 06 August 2003, 02:53 PM
stratone
Scooby Newbie

I run the original filter box, just that I fitted a cone (or port or whatever it's called) on the tube that holds the MAF. It's made by a tuning company here i Sweden and fits extremely well. It's supposed to get a better flow into the pipe.
Old 06 August 2003, 03:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I have never of such a cone and suggest you try the car without it. There is nothing you can fit near the filter/MAF that is going to improve the flow as the smallest part is near the turbo and its this that restricts the amount of air getting in.
Old 06 August 2003, 04:58 PM
stratone
Scooby Newbie

The cones function is to reduce turbulence, and give a faster response. I know several people running it with good results. I'll try to remove it. Then I'll know for sure
Old 06 August 2003, 06:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Anything that claims to modify the airflow through the MAF sensor housing will affect the readings, one way or the other. It'll be interesting to see what you find when you remove it.
Old 06 August 2003, 07:35 PM
stratone
Scooby Newbie

Here's a picture of the thing:

Old 07 August 2003, 08:31 AM
stratone
Scooby Newbie

It was the MAF... Got it changed this morning and the car runs great again!

/Claes - sticking with the cone thingy