Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch judder URGENT advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2003, 09:20 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

MY00 UK Turbo(X Reg), 15000 miles, no track use or abuse, the clutch judders occasionally (maybe once a fortnight), usually on damp days but as the car is garaged it doesn't happen often, and only when cold.
I've read loads of posts here going back years and am pretty sure it's starting to develop clutch judder, have rung the dealer (where the car came from and is serviced) and it's booked in beginning of september, they want it for 2 or 3 days to see if they can get it to do it (which I'm sure they won't be able, due to the infrequency), they then said they would have to take it apart and have a look !, as the car is still under it's original 3 yr warranty any idea what I can expect ? will there be evidence if the clutch is faulty ? what sort of bill will I be looking at if they take it apart and can't find anything ? I also read about a technical bulletin issued in the USA (I can't find a copy), relating to the problem, was there one issued here in the UK ?
I really just need some pointers for when I go to the dealers.

Ian
Old 06 August 2003, 12:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian

One of my pet hates this So many people have suffered that it has almost become a case of 'they all do that sir'. A far as I'm concerned, it is a fault.

Normally, the clutch is covered for the first 20K miles, so you should be OK there. Regardless of whether your dealer can replicate the problem, it is a fault. If you are not happy, then you should insist on a new clutch (I have had replacement clutches on both my old MY00 and current MY01 for judder). I would have to say, that in both cases, the dealers were very good and agreed that a problem existed.

On the MY01, the new clutch that has been fitted is larger and so far a big improvement. I remember that on my old MY00, they also replaced the clutch housing with one from a P1 - which is stronger. Not sure if they still do this though.

whatever they say, don't get fobbed off.

Chris
Old 06 August 2003, 03:54 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The clutch AND flywheel is guaranteed for 30k with Subaru UK, so no problems with getting it ALL changed under warranty.
It is well known about the flywheels causing problems, all the dealer has to do is get authorisation to replace and away you go,only take a day to fit as the box drops down on its own, no need to remove engine at all and get involved with the cooling system.

So, unless they change all the clutch assy and flywheel, it will re develop as flywheel is main cause.

Good luck !
Old 06 August 2003, 04:58 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Both, thanks for the advice, armed with this knowledge I can go to the dealership and hopefully get all the defective parts renewed under warranty. I must admit this particular dealer has been really good in tha past, time to realy test them me thinks !

Ian
Old 06 August 2003, 10:40 PM
toxwaz
Scooby Regular

i have exactly the same problem m8,my00 11,000 miles! it only seems 2 happen when cold!!
Old 07 August 2003, 07:31 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

See I'm not the only one with the problem.

Ian, when I took the car in saying it had problems with clutch judder they initially claimed it was because I wasn't revving it high enough when changing gear 1st or 2nd.

Having had the car for a couple of days, they changed their mind and have sanctioned new clutch/flywheel.

However re: latest problems on this see my thread.

My car has done 31k and is two years old and is on its third, shortly to be 4th clutch
Old 08 August 2003, 09:29 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Had 3 on my MY00, the dealer did not need to have the car for a few days to see if they could replicate the problem, as it was a known fault.

The 3rd time they replaced the standard flywheel with what they called a flexible one, not sure what the difference was, but it cured the problem.

Take it to another dealer if your current one wants evidence of a problem, do they think you don't know what clutch judder is?!

Dan
Old 08 August 2003, 09:31 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Rebecca,
Thanks for the reply (even though it's not exactly what I wanted to hear), I've been doing a lot of research on this topic, as the last thing I want is to get landed with a huge bill cos' the dealer can't find any fault (as it only happens occasionally), what I have found from digging around is that ALL the bits Must be replaced, flywheel,clutch plate,thrust bearing and clutch housing. I have also found mentioned on www.nasioc.com (US Scooby site) of a technical bulletin from Subaru detailing the problem and how to resolve, I have yet to be able to find the document however !.
It would appear that a lot of cars suffer with this and not sure if you can ever cure completely, think a lot of it may be down to the dealer ACTUALLY fitting all the bits (not just saying they have - I will ask to see the old ones), and then running the new bits in, it does also seem to be more prone to cars which are not given a particularly hard time now and then.
I'll keep you all upto date on my situation, hope you get yours resolved once and for all also..

Ian
Old 08 August 2003, 07:31 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

I do hope that Subaru are reading all these threads ... because if I was them, I'd be getting really worried about hearing rather a lot of people having to change their clutches several times in rather a short space of time.

I only ever had to change my clutch once on my previous Scoob (an older model) ... I thought things were supposed to improve with age not get worse.

I can also see Subaru's rankings rapidly descending down the JD Power survey at this rate.

Old 17 August 2003, 01:09 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

I've also got a P1 with juddering clutch, but normally only when stone cold.... I assumed it was just something I'd have to live with but you've got me thinking.

Car is 2.5 years old and still on original clutch after 48k ...BUT....have noticed recently that from time to time it goes "spongy" in the top inch or so of travel and infact last night it didn't return all the way back up although seemed to fully engage and had to push it fully down and release a couple of times before returning all the way back up.....PLUS.... have always noticed that if your really give it some welly from a standing start (don't do it often) then theres a dreadful smell of burning clutch inside the car by the time you're in 3rd.... is this normal?
Old 17 August 2003, 01:52 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

yes it is normal BUT its not right there is a difference.

I think the clutches are just to small and there is not a lot can be done about it
Old 17 August 2003, 02:21 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

MY02 Sport, 10mths old, 16000 miles

Judder's gradually developed over the last few months, in 1st and 2nd from cold start (disappears as soon as engine's warmed up)
Also when putting foot down in 2nd, noticeable lag in take up (always).

Recently when low-rev edging out of the carpark into traffic after work, judder's been really severe

Time to approach the dealer - but you're saying it could be flywheel and clutch.
Old 17 August 2003, 02:45 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm pretty convinced that the 'judders when cold' issue is apparent because of the early switch to use of the lambda sensor. I know this sounds a bit odd, but... when the engine is cold, the ECU underfuels as it switches to using the lambda before it's hot; this will make the car stutter. Stuttering power through the clutch will make it judder. Hence, if the clutch only judders when cold, blame the Californians for requiring emissions to be so low very quickly after start up
I noticed then when switching from closed loop idle to open loop (as in once I stopped using the lambda when it was cold, the judder-when-cold issue mysteriously went away )
Anyway. That probably doesn't help here. I just found it interesting, in a boring sort of way
Old 17 August 2003, 10:40 PM
pudders
Scooby Regular

Question

I've just bought a UK99 with exactly the same problem. The cars done 43,000 miles and again only happens when cold. The trouble is that unlike most of your cars mine as over 4 years old I expect is not under warrenty. So how much does it cost to replace the clutch flywheel etc? I thought I'd try to live with it but when pulling away from cold i must look like a right plank whith the car shaking my teeth out.
Old 17 August 2003, 11:16 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Pudders... know exactly what you mean, feel as though anyone watching is thinking "nice car....but he can't drive"

Nom.... Read your reply with great interest and have to conceed you obviously are far more aware of the workings of the Impreza than I am, but, still feel my prob is with the clutch... it doesn't feel like the engine is failing or underperforming in any way when cold it's more like a machine gun snatching of the clutch, kinda like if you'd stripped all the teeth on one cog in the gearbox bar one.
Old 18 August 2003, 08:01 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Pudders,

You can spend a lot of money replacing the clutch, flywheel etc. To prepare you for the worst if you get it done at a Scoob dealer by the time you take into account the labour (and that's what stings) you can expect to pay about £700 to replace the clutch or £1,000 to include the flywheel.

However, there are a lot of cheaper options that I'm sure other peeps can tell you about.
Old 19 August 2003, 01:54 AM
pudders
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cheers guys i'll put up with it for a while as a grand is a bit out of my budget. As I say somtimes from cold if I get the clutch and gas control just right I can control the judder as it disappears after 5 minutes. But if I get it slightly wrong i look like i've got a nervous twitch in my left foot. But the thing is that we are in summer now, does the problem get worse as winter sets in?
Old 19 August 2003, 04:19 PM
my00scooby
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem with my 00 Classic
Read somewhere before, not sure if on here or on SIDC that giving it some welly from standing starts will solve the problem.
As my car was no longer under warranty I thought I'd give it a go.
Hey Presto...problem solved.
Its not a permanent solution, but will give you quite a few weeks shudder free. Not talking about dumping the clutch at 7k revs or anything like it, what I did was stop on a steep hill, gave it some revs and rode the clutch a bit so as not to pull the **** out of the diffs.
Old 19 August 2003, 06:25 PM
Syxx - Pac
Scooby Regular

i have a MY97 and have just fitted a new clutch yet it still judders when changing down gears.

Any advice?
CHEERS
Old 20 August 2003, 11:39 AM
jbagh
Scooby Regular

The problem with the pedal not returning is air in the oil, and needs to be vented. There are two valves that needs to be open while someone pumps the pedal, when the air is out, close the valves and you do not have that problem again.
Old 21 August 2003, 07:51 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

According to my dealer apparently one of the reasons for clutch judder are hot spots on the flywheel.

They are now modifiying the flywheel possibly changing the compound of the metal ....

Wonder what'll cause clutch judder next .....
Old 09 September 2003, 05:16 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a new clutch,(flywheel,housing,clutch plate & bearing) fitted last week, NO problems with getting work done under warranty, uprated unit fitted (aka P1) so far so good, seems much smoother takeup is better,
Big thanks to the dealership (TH White), who as always were brilliant.
Old 09 September 2003, 08:19 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I'll just join the list of people with a MY00 and clutch judder as well then shall I?!!!
Mine is also slipping though. Have chosen to get AP organic clutch and lightweight flywheel instead. Hopefully will be problem solved and faster gearchanges