Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Equal length manifold? anyone bought one?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2003, 03:49 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got a 96 uk turbo running at 274 bhp with a power engineering mappable chip with blitz DSBCi boost controller, blitz nur spec pipe and magnex down pipe total decat and heard a good way to increase torque and get on boost quicker is to invest in an equal length manifold? has anyone bought one recently? how much did it cost and was it anyone good? any input for a newbie greatly appreciated!
Old 03 August 2003, 04:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't necessarily want an equal-length one by any means, but a tubular manifold can give good results (it can also give bad ones!).
The 'cheap alternative' which is very effective is to have the standard manifold ported - this helps quite a bit.
The standard manifold appears to be a suprisingly good design, by the way
Frequently, an aftermarket manifold will actually raise the boost threshold through, as they're likely designed for high power (it's a compromise - if the tubes are bigger, there is more capacity for gas flow, ie power, but the gases will be flowing more slowly so boost threshold will be higher).
Also, the manifold is very dependant on the turbo. The design that PE sell goes incredibly well, it seems, with the TD04, but I am unsure about the match to the TD05 which I think is the turbo in your car?
Well, there you go - some input