Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Please help with my bleedin annoying car :o(

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 09:42 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay so a few weeks ago my car went a bit doolally . I've a MY95UK with Bosch coilpacks (a few months old) & second hand STI HT Leads.

It started to hold back with what we initially thought was a fuelling problem & what we now believe to be a misfire. Here's what i've done so far but to no avail:

1) Re-wired all 4 coils
2) Changed the fuel pressure regulator
3) Cleaned the MAF sensor
4) Cleaned the boost solenoid
5) Replaced the spark plugs with PFR7B's gapped to 0.7mm
6) Re-wired my Walbro fuel pump

What's happening is that my car runs like a dream up to about 14psi but as soon as I put the engine under heavy load (i.e. foot to the floor) at 16psi it really holds back & backfires quite a lot.

Next port of call IMHO is to re-gap the plugs to 0.65mm & if that has no effect then i'll change the HT leads & see what happens. The thing is that every now & again my car will run fine under heavy load for 10 minutes or so & then it's back to more of the same. This only happens maybe every couple of days.

Oh & a couple of other things. Every now & again my car swithes itself to safety mode & runs at about 8psi before switching back 5-10 minutes later to the full 16psi. The 16psi is brought about by a Scoobyecu remap. The other thing is that when I just re-set the ECU it was flashing fault code 43 (Throttle switch). Don't know if this could cause any agro but the CEL isn't on all the time so I guess not?

Anyone else got any other suggestions if neither of these ideas work?

Cheers

MAFFA
Old 30 July 2003, 10:28 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

I'm Having the same problem on my MY99. Iv'e just spent some serious cash down at the dealer. They first said it was the plugs, It wasn't. Then the coil pack, It wasn't. they finally changed the HT leads and it is alot better but I'm still getting that holding back just when you wan't to toe it round the Saxo boys! I'm as frustrated as you mate and I would like any info from anybody having the same problems.

Spooner.
Old 30 July 2003, 10:52 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna search for new HT Leads & if I hear any news from my mates on what to do i'll let you know

You could:

1) Clean the MAF sensor
2) Clean the boost solenoid
3) Check your oil level isn't too high

MAFFA
Old 30 July 2003, 10:58 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, like wise if I hear anything else.

Spooner.
Old 01 August 2003, 02:47 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Red face

not again Matt ! I thought re-wiring the Bosch coil's fixed that !? I take it it's come back again !
really not sure what to suggest. could try dnb's program again now that it's working alot better (final-ish version) but I'm not sure what that would show up .. probably not alot, coz it's definatly something like a missfire - sounds bl00dy awful !

Steve
Old 01 August 2003, 04:51 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Fuel cut?
Old 01 August 2003, 04:52 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Maffa, when my MAF goes (I would say went but it happens regularly for me!) I get exactly what you describe..... Stick in a new MAF rather than just cleaning it?

Or if you are local, pop round and I will take mine off and bung it in your car, just to rule it out.

Could be lambda sensor too?

P

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2003, 07:38 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Paul, you haev a different MAF sensor on your car

Rob
Old 01 August 2003, 08:53 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

You say you are running 16psig using a scoobyecu, this is similar to what I using on MY96 uk but found I was getting severe boost cut as the Map sensor on the classic uk models saturates at 17.2psig(4.92v). I worked out the wiring and fitted a Map sensor from a newer model which is ranged to 24psig, the problem is now resolved.
Old 01 August 2003, 08:56 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Spoke to Maffa tonight, he thinks its sorted, I think he's re-gapped the plugs and now its fine
Old 02 August 2003, 06:39 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You mean gapped them!!!!
Old 04 August 2003, 08:47 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Talking

No re-gapped them

Took another .05mm off & it sorted it for a while but then the problem re-occurred [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It is all solved now though as it must have been the HT leads that had lunched themselves (or at least one of them). Picked up some Bosch ones from Halfords for £30.00 and is running like a dream now

Cheers for the suggestions guys

MAFFA
Old 05 August 2003, 02:05 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mate,
You could have borrowed mine for the weekend (I said Sat!)
But glad you got it sorted
Old 05 August 2003, 02:44 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

yahy .. at last !
Old 05 August 2003, 08:25 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Iain - for only £30.00 it didn't really matter & besides I could have sold them on if it wasn't that
Old 05 August 2003, 10:47 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

MAFFA,

Thanks for letting us know how you got on. I've got a similar problem (just up the road from you) with my MY96 WRX import. It's fine in normal use but it keeps hesitating through the revs when you stick your foot down (5,000 revs and higher). The thing is, I know quite a lot about Minis but I've only had my Impreza for a week and a half and what lurks under the bonnet of that is a bit of a mystery for me! If a trip down to Halfords with £30 sorts out my problem, I'll be a very happy man - I'll let you know
Old 06 August 2003, 12:17 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just up the road from me? Where abouts are you from? If you're around next weekend go to the Surrey meet as a few ideas will probably be thrown your way about what's wrong Look in Southern or the post by Dr Evil (Alex)

MAFFA
Old 06 August 2003, 12:30 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks MAFFA. I'm just up the A264 and over the Cheals roundabout. Keep an eye out for me - I'm the silver one with silver 5-spokes, WRX plate - on the inside lane keeping the revs down but still with a big grin on my face !!
Old 06 August 2003, 06:06 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Keep an eye out for me. Blink & you'll miss me

DGM MY95, Six spoke 18's, Evo spoiler, pimp tints, Scoobynet sticker in rear window & usually hanging around the redline LOL

MAFFA
Old 06 August 2003, 07:56 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Red face

OMG, where are the spark plugs and leads?!! Just got some new HT leads from Halfords. I knew the job wouldn't be quite as easy as on my Mini and they might be awkward to get to but I can't even SEE them !!

Loads of you must know the answer to this - please help! Was keen to get it done this evening P.S. I've got an MY96 WRX import.
Old 06 August 2003, 09:02 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Does a MY96 have HT leads or coil packs? I can't bleedin remember

Okay it's a flat 4 engine so the plugs are 2 on each side of the engine. To get to the first two you will need to move the water bottle for the screenwash out of the way & you'll see where they are down the side of the engine. You'll need a special tool to get the plugs out. The other two are a little harder if you still have the airbox in place as they are on the exact opposite side.

Check that you don't have coilpacks (i.e. each plug has a coil sitting on top of it)

MAFFA
Old 06 August 2003, 09:33 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers MAFFA. Found some photos on another thread too so it's all a bit clearer now but don't know whether I have leads or coilpacks yet. Think I'll need to take the battery off as well as the washer bottle. Haven't got the enthusiasm for a job like this after a hard day at work and I've got a busy weekend but I should get a chance to do it Sunday (after checking that the Mini's running OK ..... just in case I need a backup!)
Old 06 August 2003, 09:44 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Go to the Surrey meet on Sunday & i'm sure a few people there will help. I'll probably be there as well (if i'm not too hungover )

MAFFA
Old 06 August 2003, 10:53 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Smile

You will have coil packs!!
The earlier cars have a coil for each plug. It mounted on top of the plug so you don't need HT leads

Take the HT leads back to Halfrauds

You should be able to get the coil packs off with out removing the battery. Take out the 2 bolts at the top of the washer bottle, lift the bottle up and disconnect the leads for the pumps (might get away with leaving the hoses on), now twist it out the way.

The drivers side ones are in the same place but you'll have to remove the airbox and hose to get to them!!

The coil packs are a known problem. take them out and check them for cracks and clean them. Make sure you remove the rubber boot for the inspection. A new set are about £200 but you might be lucky and pick up a used set on here. (If you need them).

While the coils are off. Take the plugs out and check the gap. It should be about 0.7 (I think) If the gaps wrong it can cause a simalar problem.

*Tip* remove the rubber in the plug spanner when refitting the plugs or it will get stuck on the plug and you wont be able to fit the coils back!!

I'm also just up the road, so if you need a hand drop me a line

Good luck,
Iain.
Old 06 August 2003, 11:01 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Iain - I appreciate your help mate
Old 07 August 2003, 11:36 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hope to see you at a meet soon
Old 08 August 2003, 05:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Red face

...and take the plugs out the socket to check the ceramic.

I had a persistent misfire and then found a crack in the ceramic on the plug - doh!

(Actually Mark found it whilst gritting his teeth!)

Rannoch
Old 09 August 2003, 10:38 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

If you do a reset using the plugs under the dash the Error Code you get is a 'Red Herring'. The code won't be logged and only flashes in that sequence at the end of a reset.

The base map used on the ScoobyECU remap also logs it, but from what I can remember it didn't tie in to any codes that I had (43 or 45, I think).

Even a PPP ECU for a Pre96 will do it if the reset is done this way.

I think it is something to do with the base map being a WRX map which has a slightly different sensor set-up.
Old 05 November 2003, 12:44 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Talking

HOORAY! After my fatal breakdown on the 10th August, it's "only" taken two and a half months to get my car back with a new engine. TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!

To be honest, I think I've been stitched up like a kipper - I've got no evidence that it is actually a different engine at all but it certainly is running well and I'm just glad to have finally got it back. That's why I've been away from these boards for the last couple of months - I had to keep quiet 'cos it all got a bit political. I think my local Subaru garage were being pretty straight with me but then it went back to the garage that I bought it from in Dartford and it all went a bit Pete Tong after that.

But anyway, I'm 600 miles into running it in and I'm absolutely loving it Especially as I changed the stereo at the weekend and put my nice single-DIN Pioneer unit in. I made a nice job of it too! lol. Sweeeeeeeet
Old 05 November 2003, 09:18 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick tip for checking leads.

Look under bonnet while engine is running in pitch black. The leads may well track, and you may see arcing off the leads in The Darkness (oooooooooooooo).

Quick Reply: Please help with my bleedin annoying car :o(