Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wheel spacers, longer studs?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 09:07 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want the wheels on my RB5 to sit a bit further out, I was just gonna mill up a spacer to go behind but realised the studs aren't long enough. Does anybody know if longer studs are available?
Old 15 July 2003, 10:22 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you can get longer studs. Need to be a bit careful though as not only do spacers stress the studs (and stress them a lot if you don't machine them properly!), you can also run into problems with the tyres rubbing the arches if you go too far.
Old 15 July 2003, 10:30 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

What is the max ofset before i start fowling the arches? I need to make a spacer that is 10mm thick so that I can have enough material to produce a spigot on it for the wheel to locate. I was hoping someone could tell me of a supplier of good quality rolled thread studs. I presume group N rally cars run longer studs?
Old 15 July 2003, 11:08 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Cord,

I read somewhere never to go above 4mm for a spacer, due to the extra stress on the studs as mentioned by greasemonkey.

Craig.
Old 15 July 2003, 11:33 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Cord, you're correct in thinking Grp N cars run longer studs. You can get a set of long studs and nuts from Town End Garage for £80 plus VAT. I daresay you could add a "1" on the front for a set from Prodrive

As to how far you can go, that varies with the wheel and tyre combination you're using, so you're probably better placed to sort this one out than we are. You could always have the arches rolled to get a bit more space, but then you're well into stud-stressing territory.

The best answer to this would be different wheels...
Old 16 July 2003, 12:40 AM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Bet your not far wrong on the prodrive prices!! As long as the spacers are machined well nearly all of the stress will travel through the spacer and onto the existing hub, with the studs only experiencing a slight incress in load. The car is An RB5 (MY99) with the original wheels (hence the reason I don't want to change the wheels) the tyres being 215/40/17. Does anybody know the offset of these, and what is the max offset you can run before the arches need rolling?