Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Do i have to fit a new cam belt.

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 09:02 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3yr, 45K miles service approacing. I've done 22k miles with a new cambelt under warranty at 18k miles. The service log book says that the cam belt is to be changed at the 45k miles service. Will the dealer winge and moan when I tell them to just do the service & forget the cam belt??

Begs the question, is is worth doing a cam belt at 3yrs with only 22k miles just cos the service book says so?? Surely the life in a cam belt is a milage thing, not time related??

Cheers

Matt.
Old 14 July 2003, 09:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, buying a second hand car, if there was evidence that the cambelt had been done within the last 45000 miles or whatever interval was correct, I would not bat an eyelid.

Don't know what the official line is though, but it seems very pigheaded to redo things at less than interval when they were done early.

Just my 2p.

IMHO I would change belts at the proper intervals, and not more frequently. Important as though it is to change them, there is probably just as much chance of the thing going pearshaped from it being done wrong when changed. Look at the number of cars that blow up within a few miles of an oil change for example!
Old 14 July 2003, 11:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I now service my car myself and I KNOW the cambelt was done on a certain date and mileage and it will be done on the dot of miles (no way it will be time first)..

If you KNOW the cambelt was done less than 3years ago and less than 45k miles ago then I wouldn't change it..

I'd wait until 45k miles from when it was changed or 3years from when it was changed which ever comes first.

If the service manager is worth his salt he should go with that and if he knows the car suggest it.. IMHO.. oh hold on it's a dealer.. darr

Of course if there is any doubt when it was changed then change it.

JGM