Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Radiator fans question

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2003, 06:46 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a MY94 WRX with air con and 2 fans. I have ever only, in 3 years, seen the near side one ( infront of air con pump ) work, the off side one ( in front of power steering pump ) has never worked.

When doing some thing else the other day and had the 2 green connectors under the dash joined to go into test mode ( solenoids and fans go mad etc. ) STILL only 1 of the 2 fans worked, the passenger side one.

This has been repeated with air con switched on and off, same result.

Is this normal, how else do I test, and wht can I do about it if it is not normal.

The car does not overheat, the near side fan comes on and off as needed, maybe more when air con switched on.

Thanks

Neil
Old 13 July 2003, 09:31 PM
WEBSTER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

i have a 94wrx with air con , both my fans come on and go off together , try checking the wiring plugs to see if they are corroded/broken
Old 14 July 2003, 09:44 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a UK turbo, and it does exactly the same as yours. No AC though, so it's to be expected, as my car should only have 1 fan. For some reason, when the rad was replaced by a previous owner, it got 2...

Have a look in the black fuse & relay box just behind the washer bottle, and see if there is anything amiss. That's where the fan and AC relays live.

There is a wiring diagram available for the preMY97 Scoobs. It may prove useful to you.
Old 14 July 2003, 07:33 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for that!

Asked elsewhere previously, got the reply that one fan is for air con, one fan for engine cooling .... so now just as confused!

May as well check the fuses and relays ( assume they activate in green plug test mode ? ) and put 12v across the plug to the offside fan, see if it works!!

Ta

Neil
Old 28 July 2003, 05:58 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Ok!

Webster seems to have been right!

I pulled the plugs today and the non-working fan was all corroded on the terminals, and I could't get a decent earth or power signal from the contacts.

Using the test mode, I finally got power after scraping the crud off the contacts in the plug and socket, and at last got 2 fans working!!! The non working one actually has 2 speeds / duty cycles, so is probably the main engine / radiator cooling one - I have been running on the air con fan for 3 years!!!!

There also may be a break in the loom to plug, or socket to fan wiring - any one know if the socket to fan unit cable is a plug at each end and if it can be replaced without doing the whole fan?

Ta

Neil