Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

slip differential questions

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2003, 05:38 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there any change if i change my rear differential with a limited slip differential of an sti? will it fit on to my02 1,6 5door scooby?
Two questions you must answer here:

1) Why are you considering this for your normally aspirated, 1.6 litre car? TBH it doesn't produce enough power to make the LSD a worthwhile addition!

2) If you do take the plunge, you will have to make certain you get one with the correct reduction. I don't know what the gearing and internal transmission ratios on the 1.6 cars are, but I'd hazard a guess that they'll be different to the STi's. If you get one with the wrong ratio, you'll get wind-up through the transmission, which will make your car evil to drive, as well as quickly breaking your centre diff.

what do i have to be careful if i buy a used one?
See above. If you've got to ask this question it's probably not a good idea even thinking about it.

do i have to change also the fron one?
You can't just change the front diff in the way you can the back one. The front diff is part of the gearbox, and stripping a gearbox isn't the sort of job most home would have the knowledge or tools to attempt.

can i fit also a Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD).
Not easily, no. Again, the centre diff is part of the gearbox, you can't just arbitrarily swap the regular viscous diff for the electric one. Even if you wanted to do so, you'd need an STi instrument panel, the diff ECU, thumbwheel switch and probably another set of drop gears to make it work.

what is the cost if anyone has any idea for it?
Are you doing it yourself or paying someone else to sort it out? If you were going to do something like this you'd be back to the other idea about buying a crashed STi and transplanting the entire drivetrain, as it'd be the easiest way of getting a complete transmission with all the right gearing.

Without wanting to offend you, you need real experience and knowledge of the Impreza's drivetrain if you're going to attempt these sorts of jobs yourself, and it doesn't sound like you have it at the moment.

If you want all these bits and pieces, the most practical option for you is to sell your current car and get one that already has them.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 7/3/2003 5:40:07 PM]
Old 03 July 2003, 03:12 PM
vagmag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there any change if i change my rear differential with a limited slip differential of an sti? will it fit on to my02 1,6 5door scooby? what do i have to be careful if i buy a used one?
do i have to change also the fron one?
can i fit also a Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD). System features an manual override mode that allows the driver to set the front-to-rear torque split. Up to 65% of the torque can be sent to the back
what is the cost if anyone has any idea for it?
thank you