Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EcuTek 3 on a MY00

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 07:13 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booked my car in at SS this Saturday for a Tek3 remap
Can anyone tell me how good the car will feel once it's been tuned?
Currently have a full de-cat, ITG etc so what realistic bhp should I be getting after the map? 265ish
Can't wait
Cheers
Old 17 June 2003, 08:26 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have a MY00 with a full SS exhaust, K&N filter and the John Banks TEK2.5

The TEK 2.5 is just a postal map and I got 260bhp and 262lb/ft and a bucket load of

With the TEK 3 you should get even more of everything. Good luck.
Old 18 June 2003, 08:39 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Danny

Your set up will produce around 280bhp, with a very good safety margin.

See you Saturday
Old 18 June 2003, 08:46 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I personally don't think you'll notice much an improvement from what you've got. It won't be like: "**** me where did all this power come from". A teking will nicely make full use of your existing mods and the car will pull that bit harder smoother and also longer. Don't be scared to rev her to see the difference. If you've got the guts watch the speedo and you'll see where you cash went
Old 18 June 2003, 08:52 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

SB I disagree. 30bhp and 40lb of torque is VERY noticable, especially the torque
Old 18 June 2003, 10:44 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think this might be the 'ol Dawes comparison - you can stick a Daws on & the car feels a lot more powerful even if there's no more power.
The Tek (or any ECU optimising) does, I found in comarison to the Dawes, have the knack of the immediate change being un-noticeable, until you look at the speedo... it's more long-term when you find the overtaking situations seem to be there a lot more often, and that corner that always used to be tricky 'cos the power suddenly came on half way through it's now possible to feed power in more progressively & really belt out the other side.
Old 18 June 2003, 11:03 AM
LB4
Scooby Regular

I went from a full decat on MY00 to a Tek3 and the difference was huge.
Where prior to the remap i found i had to rev the engine hard to get real acceration due to the loss of low down torque from being fully decatted, its now at full boost, 1.25 bar at around 2800 rpm, and that is what makes the big change!
The extra power at the top end is nice but i now find i rarely rev beyond 5000, as it feel more powerful at these revs than it did when going beyond 6000 with just the decat.
I also had a 3 port boost valve fitted at the same time, i'm not sure if it would be noticable when compared to the standard 2 port valve when driving but i can see how much better boost is controlled with the 3 port by looking at the guage.

Gary
Old 18 June 2003, 11:22 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll update this thread over the weekend with what differences I felt after the re-map.
3 days,1hr and 38mins till I get it done, not that I'm counting or anything
Old 18 June 2003, 11:36 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Question

sorry to hijack this thread as mods are new to me .

i have just got a H&S downpipe and centre section which will be fitted to my MY00 wagon which has a PI prodrive backbox all ready on what BHP will this give ?

my next stage when i get paid again will be either the Tec 2.5 or TEC 3 i will probably go for the 3 again what BHP will this give ?

what will the increase in performance eg 0-60 or is it really mid range performance that i will notice the difference ?

do i need a boost guage fitted before the TEC 3 and do i need a knocklink/lambra what are these ? i intend to keep the car a few years can it do the engine long term harm ?

will the car be even more thirsty on optimax?

sorry for all the basic questions
all answers greatly appreciated

Old 18 June 2003, 12:06 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Talking

ha-harrrrr! the bugs finally got you eh Lordy?

Right then, lets get started. i was advised by John Banks to get a boost gauge and knocklink fitted first, so i got secs unit for boost, knocklink........for knock! and a lambdalink aswell, to see what the air/fuel ratio is when you`ve got your paw down.

The knocklink is a sensor that bolts onto your engine and basically listens for detonation in the block, which is bad. Any knocking is then transmitted to 'box' which is mounted on your dash somewhere and the severity of the noise dictates which lights come on.........there are 2 green ones - ok, 2 yellow ones - not good, and 1 red light - very very ungood. when you get your TEK re-map the mapper can use the knocklink to adjust settings so that there`s no detonation in the engine. Basically, its for safety.

Are you with me so far? good.

I got my full de-cat fitted piece by piece over a couple of months so didn`t really notice a rise in power, but due to having a free flow exhaust you don`t gain much if anything in the way of torque (low down ooomph). a remap will help make alot more use of the exhaust. the exhaust alone will add 15-20 horse-power i would estimate.

You`ll use more petrol, but i wouldn`t think it`ll be stupid amounts, unless you flog it everywhere. Just buy i second car like me, i`ve worked out that if i do 6000 miles in my 1.0 pug 205 i`ll be saving money taking into account what i paid for the car, my insurance for it, and the petrol i`ll use in it. think that makes sense.

p.s. make me an offer i cant refuse and i`ll fit a knocklink, lambdalink and secs unit for you (or just a boost gauge)
Old 18 June 2003, 12:35 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers abby

im still on NBO holiday for another 2 days untill i hit the troops with my idle ramblings /new visions so i thought i would take some time out to look at MODS etc

there is a group buy of knocklink sensor/lamdalink at £205 do i need them ?
is it a bargain ? should i snap their hand off ASAP to start me off.
john
Old 18 June 2003, 12:41 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

might aswell get them from that group buy, the normal rrp for all the gear is £235 from BR Developments so its a decent saving. think i paid £205 for mine.
the lambdalink isn`t mega important, knocklink is, but its nice to have as much info about whats going on in your engine as you can get
Old 18 June 2003, 01:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

SB I disagree. 30bhp and 40lb of torque is VERY noticable, especially the torque
I think its down to individual expectation really. If you go from stock MY99/00 to fully decated and tek3 (an all in one mod if you will) then hell yeah you'll notice the difference but I think that for £500-odd pounds you might expect the tek to deliver more. Thats not to say its bad value it just that as always in the tuning world you associated £500 with a big change. The dawes can trick you with the way it 'feels' which is why I have both and also why at £35 the dawes gives the biggest change in 'feeling' per pound. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of this by the way, all scooby's should be teked I have the tek for the actual performance and the dawes to give the boost control and nice snappy nature

In reality, despite all this my car can only just ease a few car lengths from a standard (usually story, need big power to do big damage). The only time my car has ever been stupid fast was when John called up 1.4bar on the dawes during a mapping. For those brief moments I was allowed to run it like that it pulled like you wouldn't believe

Don't think twice about getting tekked in my opinion. If you don't like it there is a strong 2nd hand market on SN for the reflashed ECU's
Old 21 June 2003, 04:59 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Car was booked in at 1pm and Pat arrived on time with his tools of the trade ready to remap my car.
First job was some adjustments under the bonnet, next was Pat flashing the ECU with it’s new map
Pat was the co-passenger and me the driver armed with his laptop he was monitoring the engine whilst I was scratchin’ around Basildon.
First impressions I am very pleased, car pulls so much more through the gears.
Torque is unbelievable, makes town driving a pleasure.
It’s early days yet for a full report, but so far I am very pleased with everything.
Thanks Pat & Pete, one very satisfied customer.
Why don’t they come like this direct from Subaru??
Old 21 June 2003, 05:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
just had tek 3 done to my car , it has full exhaust and headers with new 3 port boost solenoid and the difference is really noticeable the car pulls great and im really happy runs at 1.19 bar of boost now
Old 22 June 2003, 05:25 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Jason,
You weren't wrong with what you said about the power difference now the TEK3 has been done.
Fecking flies now
Keep me updated with your 350bhp progress..
See you around
Dan

[Edited by Danny B - 8/17/2003 3:12:25 PM]
Old 23 June 2003, 05:36 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

double post

[Edited by Pete Croney - 23/06/2003 17:45:47]
Old 23 June 2003, 05:38 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular