Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

De cat on standard 96 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2003, 01:55 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just purchased my first Subaru and I was thinking of getting a friend swap my catalytic converter for a straight metal pipe. Does anyone know what this will do and wether it is worththe time and effort. I am also thinking of getting a knocklink but is there really a danger of dettonation on a UK car standared apart froma re map.
Old 08 June 2003, 03:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
De-cat is one of the best forms of power hike you can get based on it's relative cost.
What form of remap do you have?

Old 08 June 2003, 07:57 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Don't know but it was done by David Wallis and thats all I know Buzz might know more as it was his wifes car then his dads and now mine.
Old 08 June 2003, 10:52 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

That'll be Scooby ecu then
Generally speaking a UK Scoob should be det free, but once the boost is turned up and decats are added the risk is potentially increased.
For the sake of £150 it is probably better to be safe than sorry

<Brun - ambles off thinking about taking his own advice >

Old 09 June 2003, 07:18 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

I have this plan to pull what I guessing will be a carbon filter out of the CAT on my car to get all the benefits of a decat without
having to put a new pipe in. Does anyone know if this is possible and doew anyone know how many CATs my 96 turbo has

TIA
Old 09 June 2003, 08:44 PM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

I think I can see a cat attached to the hair dryer thingy next to the intercooler and added to the one half way up the car makes 2 any more ?. Also does anyone have a link to a site were there is a picture or diagram of an engine bay with notes pointing out what does what as I have never really played with a turbo car before and its all a bit of a mystery. I've got loads of questions like

the vent that is next to the intercooler is almost blocked off with only a little gap to one side why ? does this not restrict the air flow,

And why do they have to have the intercooler on top and not at the front like everyone else

Also what do the two blocked vents at either side on the bonnet do and is it worth unblocking them .

Old 10 June 2003, 11:15 AM
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Has anyone tried removing the filters form the CATS though because downpipes cost £200 pounds each which to a former skoda rapid driver is loads for a metal pipe. The whole of my skoda exhaust system cost less than a tenner.
Old 10 June 2003, 03:25 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

£150 if you buy Magnex
Old 06 October 2003, 12:53 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I have decatted my MY96UK wagon and you only have 2 cats. 1 in the downpipe and 1 in the centre. It would be adviseable not to try and modify either of the cats as you may need them for future MOTS, meaning if you totally decat you will fail the emissions test so you need to keep the OEMS spare for MOTS. Other than that fit a high flow centre cat. I also have a similar remap to you and do see activity on the knocklink(I use optimax fuel) as my boost is much higher than normal. The hairdryer thingy you are talking about is the heat-shield for the turbo which locates in the bonnet vent so when bonnet is closed air is forced over the turbo surface thus removing heat from the turbo and from the engine compartment. It is advisable not to remove the two bonnet vents as this will enable water to fall on delicate areas currently protected ie coil packs, MAF sensor. Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

[Edited by Delboy2 - 6/10/2003 12:54:31 AM]