Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EcuTek2 - Post Mortem

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2003, 06:12 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove an MY02 with Ecutek2 on Saturday...... I was disappointed. I was wanting the effect of an MBC (Dawes) but done safely. I did not get this in fact I hardly noticed a difference over standard. The PPP kicked the Ecutek2's *** in the fact that you got the high boost (slight) kick in your back feeling. Time to go for Ecutek3...........

Old 18 May 2003, 11:09 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Ecutek have their own forum now at http://forum.ecutek.com/

This could be discussed there and you'll get response from the Ecutek gurus as well.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 18 May 2003, 11:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The kick in the back is nice with an MBC or an overboosting car. Cars also vary one to the other. It is also possible to use an MBC with a remap, although I think I am the only one that supports this. Having fiddled with MBCs the quality of the control they give is embarrassingly good, and I flit myself between three port solenoid (with a judge on the gears to give full boost even in 1st and 2nd gear) or an MBC. Certainly the standard 2 port solenoids in the classic or new shape cars do not give the same hit. Some people prefer the smoother delivery.

The problem with an MBC on the new shape cars is part throttle high boost conditions which can cause high EGTs and lean issues (particularly with the staged fuel pump operation on part throttle). In addition, the "run off" areas of the map you hit with an MBC are far from optimal on the fuelling. So a remap can benefit here, plus the ability to run higher boost levels than the original fuel cut without fuel cut defenders.
Old 19 May 2003, 11:44 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Yes agree with Russ, but the car was standard apart from a back box and was faster at higher revs than a standard car but still suffered the bog down feeling at slow speeds in 2nd gear, i was told the throttle response was as sharp as on the 03 but it was nowhere near and as for the claimed 265BHP the guy needs to come down off his cloud, i would say no more than 235BHP.

The test for me that it failed on was the 50-70mph in 5th which was in a word, disapointing.
My car felt so much better, but it was an improvement over a standard car,what i want to know is can you notice the difference as much on say a decatted car as you could on the standard version ?

I would like to try it but only if it could be removed if i wasnt happy with the GAINS it supposedly offered.

Zippy
Old 19 May 2003, 11:55 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So just to check, are we comparing a PPP with ECU and exhaust mods including removing one cat, to a Ecutek Tek 2 with just a backbox?

Cats kill throttle response.

Paul
Old 19 May 2003, 12:50 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Paul,
We're trying to establish if fitting an Ecutek2 to a decatted 01> car will give the same kind of percentage increase as fitting it to a standard 01> car (With only a WR Sport backbox - All Cats still intact)
Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Nick
Old 19 May 2003, 01:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If you use a map optimised for a car with an uppipe cat on one without or vice versa you will run into performance or reliability problems (not setting fire to the uppipe cat).
Old 19 May 2003, 01:50 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Russ

We have done one with only a rear silencer and whilst this was a custom map, I was also dissapointed. The owner was very pleased and was determined that he did not want any more than the rear silencer.

The main reason for the difference is that because the cats create so much back pressure, the hot burnt gas from the last firing does not get fully extracted. This means that the next charge coming in will be a hotter mix and more volatile. The result is less fresh mix to ignite and less ignition advance possible.

Russ, if you are just comparing your car immediately after it was done, this will add fuirther dissapointment. Get 200 mixed miles on it and then compare. Until this is down, the ECU has not built up its correction tables and will be running very conservatively.
Old 19 May 2003, 10:28 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Old 19 May 2003, 10:51 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Quick question...

I have an MY02 which had a standard "TeK 2" from Nick in Cumbria... it's just been de-catted last week (up and down pipe, he saya he can re-map if for me again to compensate but not sure when..

is the engine going to die in the meantime ??

Midlife....

Old 19 May 2003, 10:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If it is not overboosting it should not die. If it is overboosting then avoid driving at full boost until it is sorted out.
Old 19 May 2003, 11:22 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

John

Thanks for the reply, most appreciated....

Midlife....
Old 20 May 2003, 12:09 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

I thought PPP was an Ecutek remap itself these days
Old 20 May 2003, 12:25 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Prodrive is now using the Ecutek software to do the PPPs.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 20 May 2003, 09:25 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Prodrive is now using the Ecutek software to do the PPPs
Yeah,but this is only on MY03 models onwards though!!

Nick
Old 20 May 2003, 11:58 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

That's right. Forgot to add that bit.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:47 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

It seems chaps that we need to cough up for the full de-cat and then a custom re-map to achieve what we want as nobody can build a map for my car in particular that would still keep the up-pipe cat in place.
The Palmers car with the Ecutek upload for cars with only a partial de-cat is no faster than a standard car with a Dawes device and i would actually say it was significantly slower.

It would be good if the Palmers mapper was prepared to use his Ecutek examples and map cars with different exhaust configurations.

1= Full de-cat
2=Up-pipe cat still in.
3=Centre Section backwards.

1 and 3 are there but what about number 2 ?

Zippy
Old 20 May 2003, 08:17 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Does palmers mapper know how to use the Ecutek tool or is he just using the 'sample' maps provided............
Old 20 May 2003, 10:33 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Russ

Some cross posting here but AFAIK he uses the "sample" re-maps only but not completely sure....

Midlife..

Old 21 May 2003, 12:24 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think it's important to remember here what you want (all info in an IMHO manner ) - an MBC controlled car tends to 'feel' quicker as it's rather 'all or nothing', so there's a punch when the boost comes that feels fast, and also the fairly large lack of difference between 30% & 100% throttle also shows. All feels nice & quick, but there's less control... A nicely set up ECU controlled boost should build quickly (but not suddenly) and give good granularity throughout the throttle-travel - so power can be gradually pushed in rather than slammed in. [IMHO mode off] This will feel slower [IMHO back on again ]. But it isn't necessarily so in 50-70 times, etc. and most definately won't be if driven in real conditions (ie on roads with curves...) rather than just playing on straight flat things.
So, do you want a fast car, or just a car that feels fast?
(The Daws is still a fabulously good value bang-for-buck, though )
Old 21 May 2003, 04:18 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Nom

That's a very good point. IMHO its essential to have the throttle give an effect for all of its travel. On a fast bend, on track, you want to feather the throttle to adjust the understeer/oversteer balance through the corner and a car that was very binary on the throttle would have to take the corner slower, to avoid losing the correct line or even spinning out.

(that sentence was a bit long )
Old 21 May 2003, 08:04 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

long but right IMO

LoFi
Old 21 May 2003, 10:04 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I believe that you have spoken to Zippy. I like what you have to offer - if the price is right

Cheers
Old 22 May 2003, 09:01 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Ditto what Russ says Pete!!
Old 22 May 2003, 10:22 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Zippy, Russ and Nick

I have mailed you off line.