Blown Gaskets or Cracked Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2003, 10:09 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Folks,

This may seem like a really silly question, but I am having withdrawal symptoms from my poorly Scoob and cannot afford a repair without a mortgage.

So do you think this product http://www.detsco.com/clc/index.html is worth a go? After all, its a fraction of the cost of the potential worst case repair bill. So do I have anything to lose?

Your comments gratefully recieved.

Regards,

Kevin

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 5/15/2003 10:10:18 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 10:29 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Never heard of this actual product, but heard mixed comments about these types of products to fix rad leaks and wot not.
I guess the only way to find out is to try it, let us know if you do coz a buddy of mine has a car sitting of the drive way with a blown head gasket.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 15 May 2003, 10:31 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Will do. I think my damage could be quite severe (although I hope not). If this works, I'll import it by the boat load

What are his symptoms? Mine are:

White smoke from exhaust
Rapid overheating
Loss of coolant (into cumbustion chamber?)
No heat from heater

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 15 May 2003, 10:32 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Question

All depends how serious the problem is ... are you just getting a little bit of oil / water mixing, or is it losing pints of coolant? Has the oil turned to mayonnaise?

Is it not running (or running rough) on one pot because of the blown gasket?

If it's a little bit of oil & water, then I would try something like Bars Leaks -- the liquid stuff works very well. If you're getting big water losses, or it's only running on three, then I wouldn't run it further.

I know it's not the same, but my wife's 1996 Punto had a slight head gasket leak on number 1 cylinder -- quite common apparently, causes it to burn coolant. 18 months ago I changed the coolant and added Bars Leaks -- it hasn't used a drop of coolant since.

£30 all in for the mechanic to change the coolant was certainly cheaper than the labour cost of removing the head etc etc.

Weigh up the cost of fixing the problem now, against what it would cost if it goes bang later if you didn't fix it ...
Old 15 May 2003, 10:37 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

brickboy,

It is losing substantial amounts of coolant - however, I had to drive it home from TSL (approx 30 miles). It ran really rough for 3/4 of the journey and I made several coolant top ups on the way. By the last stages of the journeyr, despite running very hot the white smoke had gone and the car was running/pulling normally.

K
Old 15 May 2003, 10:37 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much would it cost you to have to scrap the car?

Head gasket set is about £120 for a non genuine set, that includes all the rubber grommets and gaskets.

can be just about done with the engine in place, but not ideal, keep costs down though.

COuld be done in a weekend by a non mechanic type.

Cheap peace of mind if you ask me

Paul
Old 15 May 2003, 10:58 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Pavlo,

I don't whether they are blown gaskets or cracked heads. I am certainly no mechanic and have been advised at costs around £500/£600 for gasket replacement and cost approaching rebuild proportions if the heads are cracked. I do know that there is corrosion on both sides when you remove the rear spark plugs (either side).

I have already had a full engine rebuild at £4230 and am taking a fair guess at a large percentage of that to replace the heads as a worst case. This is the reason I was wondering if for just a small fraction of that cost, it may be worth a try????

Ta,

Kevin

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2003, 11:44 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Kevin,
This guys car blow part of the rad off when it was being MOT'd.
He put a new rad in but didn't replace the thermostat and has started to get water in the oil, not masses but enough to not use the car.
Hope you get yours sort at no great expense.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 15 May 2003, 11:53 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who did your engine rebuild? If the gasket has failed then surely this is down to them?

Did I see your car for sale a while ago?

paul

Old 15 May 2003, 11:56 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Pavlo,

The rebuild was some time ago now, so I don't believe its the builders fault. My car has never been up for sale - though with this recent problem it had crossed my mind!

Kev
Old 15 May 2003, 03:39 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Could get an engine on exchange from a breakers for £1000 + vat....

Head gasket change means heads need to come off, so the only difference in price should be parts, the work is the same.
Old 15 May 2003, 03:53 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get ya hands dirty Kev I've found that by tinkering, 9 times out of ten you can do these sorts of jobs yourself. Yes it takes longer but you're not paying labour. You can always use scoobynet if you get stuck and beg borrow and steal any tools that you don't have. What's the worst that could happen? you end up taking the bits to the garage instead of a complete car!! You could say that it's pre dismantled so it'll save a few £ in labour

Be methodical and Tidy and I reckon you could sort it over a few weekends.

Mikey