Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MRT full exhaust and custom ECUTEK?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 04:16 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Have been trying to find a quiet exhaust(do not want to upset the neighbours) to go with a custom ECUTEK remap on my STI 8.
Is there anybody running this setup on a STI 7 or 8?

Would only a backbox be an option, I have heard that you need to change atleast the backbox on a STI 7 or 8 if you go for the ECUTEK?
Also a dealer here in Germany said that one of the best setups if I was to go for only the backbox was the Scoobysport backbox.
Is this backbox a loud one?

Would be interested in advice concerning other setups for the STI with Ecutek!

//L-O
Old 07 May 2003, 05:10 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Just the backbox alone doesn't make that much of a difference - except to the noise level!
What are you after? Decat or does the cat still need to be there in Sweden? For the most power/best solution, you want no cats, ie replace the up-pipe & downpipe (these are the most important, really), then the mid & the back, although the back needs to be done to allow the up & down to flow well...
MRT is quiet, as is APS but I think the APS is cheaper & slightly louder?
Old 07 May 2003, 06:47 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi !

Yes, I used to have the APS-system on my My00, with the full club-spec from APS(with open filter and stuff), really nice, but loud!

Well, I'm after a quiet system to go with the ECUTEK-remap due to the fact that everybody say that with the ECUTEK you need to replace atleast the backbox to make it flow better...
But I do need a system that is legal according to the european standards both in terms of emission and noice level!

I live in Germany nowadays so I need a setup that does not draw to much attention.
I would not like to be in a situation when I have to argue in German when I go to the German authorities vehicle control or a control made by the police :-)!
So a quiet system with cats, anyone had any experience with full MRT?
Old 07 May 2003, 09:00 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I don't think you'll find much quieter than the APS! Wish there was something out there... the MRT is apparently 2db quieter than the APS - technically nearly half the sound level, but I'm not too sure if the ears would notice it like that!
The only seriously quiet backbox I know of is the Remus - I can't think why this couldn't be attached to the back of the APS system to reduce the noise level? At least as a cheap starter... Remus is a cheap make, for some reason!
I'd like to know about the MRT too - for the same reason - but I've only heard comparisons of comparisons so far, which aren't a very reliable source
So roll on other reponses!
Old 08 May 2003, 06:06 AM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers for that info

What other resonable quiet setups are there?
I posted a query about the full exhaust that Litchfield offers but nobody seems to know anything about that. It seems like a very good setup, full-exhaust with race-cats to pass MOT!
Anybody even heard anybody using the Litchfield setup?

/L-O
Old 08 May 2003, 07:53 AM
GDBSTi
Scooby Regular

According to US Turbo magazine the Greddy Evo (3.1") Cat-back system is 94dB at idle and 92dB at 3000rpm against MRT 96dB and 104dB and Standard WRX exhaust 87dB and 86dB respectively. The Greddy Evo seems to be the quietest aftermarket system available. The next problem is to find a DP that fits the GReddy system:-(
Old 08 May 2003, 09:27 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

BPM twin-dump DP with HKS Drager system is another good compromise (as long as you don't want a cat - still not sure if you do or not?). It is noisier than the APS, I think, but is smooth enough sound that it shouldn't 'annoy' . The downside is I think it's probably a mixture of the 2 most expesive systems available
But I still think it's still quite a compromise on noise level. Flow is very good - 3" all the way & the BPM is probably the best standard aftermarket downpipe that exists.

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2003, 02:56 AM
parso_rex
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I have the Full MRT system on my MY99 or should I say did have.Its not good if you plan on making a bit of power other than just induction exhaust mods. If you plan on fitting another Turbo and/or upping you boost go for another option or you will be severely disappointed. The main problem appears to be the dump pipe with its cat very close to the turbo outlet.
I still have this one and I'll probably put it on the car when its sold. It is very quiet (probably also due the muffler a bit) and gave a good gain with the stock setup but thats it. If thats all you want then its a good option.
I know that MRT sell a version of their dump over here without the cat in the dump and this could only be better. Oh yeah I'm assuming that the system sold there is the same as ours

Some dyno plots for you ..... note its on an aussie dyno so actual figures will be useless as a comparison but the results are obvious
http://home.iprimus.com.au/surfleague/WRX_Stuff/Rex_Dyno/dyno_results_C&V01.htm

Mark

Just reread your remapping an STI 8. Definately find another option

[Edited by parso_rex - 5/8/2003 3:11:41 AM]