ECUTEK vs Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 08:53 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Quote from the superchips website

"There are impressive gains of up to 25% more power and torque. Driving pleasure is increased through less gear changing and you will feel that your car is more lively and responsive. Superchips do this by increasing the manufacturer's boost limit. And with the reprogrammed computer matching the car's ignition timing and fuelling, long term reliability of the engine is retained."

Now I have been told that the superchip is a bad way to go as they only raise the boost pressure, that is clearly not what it says above!, yet on the superchips site it says I will get a 40bhp increase!!!!!

Sounds OK to me.

Is there anyone out there running a superchip on a MY99 UK 2000 that are pleased with the performance gains and the superchip in general?

Come on, there must be one or two of you out there!!!!!!

Cheers Lads

Micky
Old 07 May 2003, 09:13 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their Impreza applications do not adjust fuelling and timing.
Old 07 May 2003, 10:19 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

hi john,

here is a reply i got direct from superchips themselves.

"Thank you for your enquiry. The ECU in an Impreza has no chips for us to change, it has an integrated ECU as such we cannot alter anything within the ECU. However they do have an electronic boost control which is linked to the fuelling of the vehicle. As such our conversion involves fitting a device which allows us to raise the boost limit of the vehicle to a new level thus allowing us to run a higher boost, hence the gain of 40bhp. The fuelling of the vehicle is adjusted automatically by the ECU so there is no need for us to alter this value.

We have been modifying these since around 1995 and if we were in the habit of causing damage to engines/turbo’s we would not be the market leader for ECU upgrades, nor would we be able to offer a conversion for the Impreza!

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have any further questions please let me know.

again, all help is massively appreciated

cheers

micky

Old 07 May 2003, 10:44 AM
cswminty
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack but i have one for sale - brought it a few months ago (£150) hasnt been fitted and i have since got an complete new ecu (apexi unit) so this will be going on instead.

if anyone is interested......
Old 05 July 2003, 10:43 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Wop on a Dawes. It doesn't remove the fuel cut ('safety net') as the Superchips does (although rumours say it's now raised rather than removed entirely). And there you go... exactly the same result as the Superchips (by almost exactly the same method - the Superchips just uses a lower-quality method for boost control), and all at a tenth of the cost.
If you want more boost, put in a fuel-cut raiser to raise the possible boost a couple of psi. If you're slightly competent with electronics, John has one that costs less than £5, I believe.
Beyond that, it's ECU time (safest & best performance).
Assuming that with doing either of these - home-brew or Superchips - you also should get a boost gauge, KnockLink (or similar) & LambdaLink (or similar).
Oops - forgot about this bit...
The fuelling of the vehicle is adjusted automatically by the ECU so there is no need for us to alter this value
which is true to a point - the Scoob, in its standard guise, adjusts fueling on airflow, so it will compensate to a point, that point allowing a reasonable improvement in power easily enough, but the more you push it, the more likely you are to go beyond where you are 'expected' to be, i.e. higher risk. Hence the AFR & KnockLink being a ggod idea!

[Edited by nom - 5/7/2003 10:46:51 AM]
Old 05 July 2003, 12:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Notice they don't mention anything about ignition timing which is too advanced on the standard ECU for Optimax for high boost never mind lower octane fuels. IMHO it is almost impossible to run lean with a TD04 on a MY99/00 if everything is working as it should and you don't have any daft induction kits on it.

It strikes me as ludicrous that anyone would pay a similar price for a boost increase of dubious safety compared to a reflash of the fuelling, ignition and timing and keep all the original safety features.

[Edited by john banks - 5/7/2003 12:22:54 PM]