Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sump Plug 1/8NPT Adaptor - Show your interest here....

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 08:22 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently in communication with LeMans motorsport in order to try an get them to produce a 1/8NPT adaptor for the Sump Plug for the Subaru Impreza Turbo (maybe Legacy and Forester if they are the same).

This will allow a Oil Temperature Sensor to be fitted in the sump.
Their current adaptor LMA067, can be used to fit an Oil Pressure Gauge above Piston No.3.

The stock oil pressure sensor/light can then be retained.

http://www.lemansmotorsport.co.uk/mo...ing_parts.html

If you would be interested in such a product, at probably a price silimlar to an LMA067, then please show your interset here....

Now Available
Pt.No LMA083+Washer
Piccie....

[Edited by Scott.T - 6/10/2003 5:51:00 PM]
Old 07 May 2003, 08:53 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'd have one.
Old 07 May 2003, 09:43 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

If the current Autometer group buy comes off, then I think there will be a few customers. (Myself included)
Old 07 May 2003, 10:20 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to **** on the bomb fire here, but when I fitted my Defi oil temperate sensor in the sump plug, I noticed the oil temp fluctuate when driving around.

I posted on here and was told the sump isn't a good place to measure oil temperature, as wind chill will give a false reading. I took the car for a brief run up the motorway and the oil temp dropped 10 deg C

The best place for measuring the oil temperature is on the block, by piston no3 (?) near the turbo.

Hope this helps, Phill

PS You can buy the oil way adaptor from someone like scoobymania, etc. I think someone said the main dealers can get them
Old 07 May 2003, 10:42 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I've heard this too babber, but to be honest is the oil temp really that critical... as long as the gauge works I don't see it as a problem.

The same rule could be applied to the No.3 position, as this may suffer from heat soak, due to the surrounding materials and nearby Turbo Charger.

I don't think +/- a few degrees makes much difference.

This method also retains the origional light/sensor, which IMHO although only low pressure, is more likley to grab your attention if on a long boring motorway cruise.

P.S ScoobyMania Charge £8+VAT, LeMans Charge £3.70+VAT for the Gallery Plug.
Old 10 May 2003, 06:39 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Just to confirm, Lemans have agreed to make the required sump adaptor. I will also try and get them to counter bore the inner to allow better oil flow around the sensor.

I will also try and get them to modify the LMA067 to make one the same length as the blanking plug. LMA067 is currently slightly longer. I don't think it's a problem, but it's only brass so can be cut to length easy enough (if required).

When I get part numbers for these new items I will post them...
Old 11 May 2003, 09:48 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

keep me posted as i could really do with one...

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2003, 09:34 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

They now have my old plug, so I should here from them soon.
Old 16 May 2003, 12:21 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Count me in, are they actually making these now or do we have to send a sump plug to be modified.Also looking at my SPA sensor if the plug is drilled. the tip of the sensor would only protrude by about 2/3 mm into the sump.
Old 16 May 2003, 08:27 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

They are making them and I'm also trying to get them to counter-bore the inner to ensure more oil gets around the sensor.
Old 16 May 2003, 09:56 AM
cswminty
Scooby Regular

I'm up for one of these Scott if you get a few in. Let us know how much they/you want mate.
Old 16 May 2003, 09:16 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Put me down for one for my WRX.
Old 16 May 2003, 09:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

<<<I've heard this too babber, but to be honest is the oil temp really that critical... as long as the gauge works I don't see it as a problem.

The same rule could be applied to the No.3 position, as this may suffer from heat soak, due to the surrounding materials and nearby Turbo Charger.

I don't think +/- a few degrees makes much difference>>>

If this is right, then forgive me for not understanding the point of the gauge???
Alcazar
Old 19 May 2003, 08:40 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Sod it, put me down for one as well, just in case I have problems with the number 3 cylinder location
Old 20 May 2003, 12:23 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Cool

The cylinder plug in the oilway is easy to fit mate, so don't stress!!

Still be really worried about reading Oil temperature from the bottom of the engine, considering it so exposed to wind chill....FFS, do a search and listen to the experts chaps...I'm not claiming to be one, just spend a little time researching into things to make sure it done right. I don't do the work myself, I was a consultant but am now on garden leave.

Charlie how things at work ?

Phill
Old 20 May 2003, 01:23 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Some temp senders are too big to go into the blank above No 3 hence the use of the sump plug. My SPA on the STi Wagon is is in the plug above no 3 but on the WRX Wagon it is in the sump and this is just as reliable a location but it makes oil changes a bit of a pain. Best solution is to braze the fitting into a hole drilled in the sump.
Old 20 May 2003, 07:55 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Has anybody actually thought about the fact that driving at 70mph actually causes the car to run slightly cooler anyway, due to the increased airflow through the radiator. And j=hence would cool the oil down.

If the Temp sendor in the sump is measuring a temperature, then I'm sure the oil is at this temperature for at least some of it's cycle around the engine.

The same could be said for the water...is it really at the same temperature throughout the entire water jacket and hoses. I doubt it.

This Sump plug is for those that use the No.3 for the Pressure sensor and leave the stock item for the dash light in place (under the alternator).

I didn't want to remove the stock light. If I am on a long boring motorway cruise, and pressure is lost, I am more likly to notice the light than glance accross to the pressure gauge.

If you are not fitting a pressure sensor then fine use the No.3 location (it's alot easier to route the wiring).

My Gauge reads a fairly constant 90 Degree's, which is the same as a Peugot Diesel reads using it's factory fit gauge (as I had the pleasure of driving one of these all last week).

From what I have heard the sump reading can vary by 10 Degree's depending on driving conditions. But come on for Christ's sake 10 Degree's....does it really make all that difference. Before fitting it you probably didn't even know what the gauge would read, or what temperatue the oil worked at.
Old 20 May 2003, 10:36 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

scott,

any idea when the plugs might be ready??

sly
Old 20 May 2003, 10:40 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Nope,

They still have my Sump Plug. I think they have had it for about a week now. So hopefully not too long.

As soon as I know part Numbers and prices I will let you know.
Old 20 May 2003, 11:04 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

cool
Old 20 May 2003, 11:53 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Scott: The standard oil pressure warning switch activates at 8 or 10 psi so the damage is done if you are in the cruise.
I replaced mine with one from Simon at Roger Clark Motor Sport which activates around 35psi. I also have a SPA oil press/temp and the warning light on that is set at 80psi.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:05 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I know the stock one is low pressure...
Fitting and after market pressure sensor for a gauge in this location ends up looking like a bodge. You have to use an adaptor that extends using aeroquipe hosing due to there being no clearance under the alternator.

This then has to be secured somehow, and IMHO looks like a right bodge.

The end result of using No.3 for Pressure, the sump for Temp, and leaving the stock item in place is that it looks standard. Infact you have to lean right in to the engine to spot the pressure sensor in No.3 Gallery, and if you didn't know would probably think it was standard.

Cars both on road and on track have been brazing adaptors onto sumps for year. Why do Subaru owners have to be so different.

At the end of the day I'm trying to help out those that want to use the Sump. If you don't then it's your choice.

I've already got mine in the Sump, so I don't even need one of these 1/8NPT Adaptors.

I'm just trying to help out. Just like the Pre96 ECU Adaptor Project that I used to sell in ScoobyShop.....Now I wonder why I stopped doing them...... probably cause some of you can be a right pain in the ****!!!!!!!! and think you know it all.........

Sorry Harvey, not aimed at you....

[Edited by Scott.T - 5/20/2003 12:10:01 PM]
Old 20 May 2003, 09:28 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Hi Scott, just got some new gauges and would be interested in one of these if they are still available.

Cheers

Marc
Old 10 June 2003, 05:49 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Piccie....

Old 18 June 2003, 08:42 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Price now confirmed as £4.92
Old 18 June 2003, 10:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Due to the delay the WRX sump was removed and a temperature sender silver soldered in so it is now a permanent fix but the adaptor is attractive to make the job easy.
Old 06 October 2003, 01:44 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I received the Sump Plug from Lemans this mornings and it looks just the part.

This will allow the Standard Sump Plug to be replaced, and a 1/8NPT Oil Temp Sensor to be fitted.

The Part Nimber you will need to quote in LMA083+Washer. But I am not yet sure of the cost, as mine was FOC.

I shall post a piccy later, once I have extracted them from the Digi Camera.

With regard to temperature variation... I drove 1200 mile in the past week from East Sussex to South Wales and the Temp remained at appox 80 Degree's C regardless of speed (not exceeding 70mph of course). The Temp only rose by 5 Degree's when stuck in traffic.

[Edited by Scott.T - 6/10/2003 1:59:40 PM]