Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

GReddy FMIC and NO remap: which air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2003, 04:03 PM
GDB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I'm thinking of installing a GReddy FMIC, but due to lack of good tuners in my country, the car's ECU will be left untouched.

2001 JDM STi Type RA.

Question is, is it advisable to go ahead in the first place? Can anyone recommend a compatible air filter that does NOT screw up too much of the MAF readings?

I've recently tried the Apex'i intake; it made the car run SUPER RICH.

Then I switched to ARC airbox. The car ran SUPER LEAN (detting at only 1.2bar with uprated fuel pump and water injection).

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03 May 2003, 06:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

GDB,I would defo not fit an induction kit.The gains are minimal and the dangers real.The kits available can make the MAF under read anywhere from 7-30%,more than enough for your car to go bang.
I d'ont really think you'll get much benefit from the fmic without a remap.Which country are you in?

ps,found it difficult to understand how the Apexi kit made the car run rich
Old 04 May 2003, 04:45 AM
GDB
Scooby Newbie

Deep,

I am FORCED to run an induction kit because no FMIC kits can retain the stock airbox.

I know what you mean about screwing up MAF readings; the ARC that I am running now is really set up aggressively. Thank God I have a KnockLink.

I too am at a loss as to why the Apex'i made the car run rich. It is very unexpected, but the results speak for themselves: with Apex'i I can run 1.5+bar boost without water injection working and get only one green on the KnockLink (at most!) all the way to redline.

With stock airbox, I need the water injection to work to achieve that kind of crazy stunt. Even so, I'd get an occasional amber.

I am also running an original STi uprated fuel pump. Could the stock JDM ECU overcompensate the fuelling changes???

I live in Singapore.

If I can fit FMIC, I am planning to run (much) bigger turbo. I'm a track junkie, about once a month or so I hit the track.

*help*
Old 04 May 2003, 01:20 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

How have you upped the boost?
How will you take advantage of the bigger turbo/without a remap of some kind? Is there no one in Singapore who can do something?
I was in Malaysia on holiday recently and picked up a car tuning mag(sad eh?) and there were adverts from companies offering such services.Are they not trustworthy?
Old 04 May 2003, 02:22 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Hey Deep, GDB's my partner in crime!

Yeah we both were at a loss as to why the APEXi ran the car rich. It was rich enough for the exhaust to occassionally go "bang" on lift off.

Reliable tuners are quite scarce here. The few good ones there are mostly fly in from Oz. The AVCS of the STI7/8 also complicates things, since there is no replacement ECU that can run the car (closest is ECUTEK). Some solve this issue with piggybacks, but personally I'd rather not.
Old 04 May 2003, 03:33 PM
GDB
Scooby Newbie

RT's car is my twin

Anyway, I use Blitz EBC to up the boost.

The VF30 I feel runs out of breath anything above 1.35bar. I figured, FMIC + bigger turbo + bigger turbo = more power. PLUS REMAP of course would equal a hell lot more power, but seriously, there really is nobody here reputable enough to play around with the ECU.

At present, stock airbox boosting 1.4+bar with water injection is plenty fast. But I want to get rid of heatsoak (which is a big problem here, tropical climate + lots of redlights). And I want to join the "big leagues" on the track ;-)

RT brought up a point that I missed: when I used the Apex'i intake, the exhaust went 'bang' on almost every upshift above 6k RPM.

Very strange indeed. The diameter of the Apex'i intake (where the MAF sits) is exactly 0.5cm bigger than the stock airbox intake.

My FMIC plan is put on hold until I find an 'acceptable' induction kit (not too lean, not too rich).

So... anyone??? HELP?????