Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

1/8 NPT Gauge Fitting - Sump Plug & Blanking Plug.

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 10:56 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I get a 1/8NPT thread drilled and tapped into the sump plug and Blanking plug (above Piston No.3), so that I can fit Oil Pressure and Temperature sensors.

I expect the sump plug is OK, but it looks like the blanking plug is secured using an Allen Key, so maybe the hole for the thread may be a problem ?

If not, does anyone know the thread sizes for the Sump Plug and Standard Oil Pressure Sensor ?

[Edited by Scott.T - 24/04/2003 10:57:31]
Old 24 April 2003, 12:19 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am fitting a temp sensor at the moment. I bought an adaptor from subaru that allows the sensor to be fitted in the blanking plug above no 3 cylinder but I had a nightmare trying to get it fitted without stripping down the hoses etc on top of the engine so I went for a sump plug one instead from scoobymania (about £10 inc P+P) I still have the subaru adaptor at home if you want it. Cost me £10 from my local dealer so make me an offer if you want it.

The thing that threw me was the tapered thread on the sensor Both adaptors are parallel thread so I presume they are meant to be "cut in" by the sensor to provide a good seal (I also used ptfe tape on the thread as well) I spoke to harvey from this bbs as he has the same gauges as me and he has done his the same way as me so it should be ok
Old 24 April 2003, 12:25 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Cheers Charlie,

Is it able to accept a 1/8NPT ??

I'll see what arrives tommorrow with the gauges, take a piccie of what I have, and post it here.

If you think it will fit I'll have it from what you paid + postage.
Old 24 April 2003, 02:55 PM
AJKS
Scooby Regular

Scott,

I dont know if you have VDO in the UK but they do make a M18x1.5 (M) (the thread above piston no3) to 1/8"NPT (F). The part number is:

go here:

http://www.siemensvdo.com.au/product...lt.aspx?id=154

and download the catalogue. Cost for the adaptor is about AU$10.

I too was trying to find out the sump plug thread - but never did and gave up. I meant to measure the thread when I last had the plug out - but I forgot...

From a previous post of mine:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=179681

Charlie,

The female thread in the block above piston number 3 is definitely a M18 fine pitch thread (ie M18x1.5) - this I do know.

Now for the rest of the saga... I, like you, stuffed around for quite some time trying to find out the definite answer as to what was the correct adaptor (more importantly, as I knew the threads I wanted, I wanted to know the threads on the Subaru adaptors). Subaru Australia was (as expected) useless and did not know (I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and try them), my mechanics did not know, the Subaru authorised dealers spares departments did not know, the workshop service manual does not mention it...

The only place with some info about the Subaru adaptors was here and Chiarks site. But to add extra confusion to all this was that 2 different part numbers are mentioned for the adaptor:

1. 11024AA111
(mentioned in relation to Defi on Chiarks site)
2. 11024AA210
(mentioned as having the same female thread as used by the oil pressure switch. Someone else then mentioned the oil pressure switch is 1/8NPT and so to is the Defi)

If you search for "11024AA111" on:
http://www.subaruparts.com/

it returns: "11024AA210: Plug Main Gallery"

Which, therefor implies they are identical...

Then it got more confusing. I found a very useful Subaru spares department guy, told him my concerns, and he started to hunt around and found these 2 adaptors plus a few more are shown as adaptors for the oil gallery. But he was not able to tell me the female thread of the parts or whether the 2 part numbers list above are indentical...

At that stage I gave up. I went and got an M18x1.5 bolt, and taped a 1/8NPT thread into it. I, like you, am also an engineer and have access to a fully loaded workshop so this was the simplest solution!!!

If you ever find out the definitive answer about the female threads of the adaptors (are they different and are they 1/8NPT like most people say) it would be nice to know.

No, do not retap a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPT. One is 27 threads per inch, the other is 28 threads per inch. Dont quote me on that, Im at home so dont have my references with me but they are very close to one another and you wont be able to reform the thread.

Anyway, thats about the end of it...

Adam

Hope this helps,

adam
Old 24 April 2003, 03:11 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
just be carefull if you put it in the sump plug that it cant be ripped out.

David
Old 24 April 2003, 03:25 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

David,
Got an undertray on an MY00, so should not be a problem
Old 24 April 2003, 07:23 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Merlin Motorsport (who I got the gauges from) have offered to drill/tap the blanking plug and sump plug, if I send them down.

But I think I may get a sump plug from Subaru (as that's easy to describe) and then get Merlin to provide an M18 with a 1/8NPT hole in it.
Old 24 April 2003, 07:27 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Just found this when searching for M18 x 1.5 to 1/8NPT
http://www.lemansmotorsport.co.uk/mo...ing_parts.html

Still don't know what thread the sump is tho'

Oops!! looks like we are going round in circles, as I see from the other post that you have already found LeMans website

Hmm.... I wonder if the M18 to 1/8NPT t-piece is male or female for the NPT end ?

[Edited by Scott.T - 4/24/2003 7:40:53 PM]
Old 24 April 2003, 09:04 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Scott, I have the plug that goes in to no. 3 cylinder. It has the hole and thread already in it.

Looking at a tenner for it.

Dan
Old 24 April 2003, 09:15 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that the main gallery plug and sump plug used the same thread.

Try and use the main gallery as this will give a more accurate reflection of oil temps.
Old 24 April 2003, 11:00 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Danny,

Is it 1/8NPT or 1/8BSP ?? I need NPT

hypoluxa,

I'm fitting Temp and Pressure Sensors, so will have to use the Sump for the Temp unless I can get a T-piece.

[Edited by Scott.T - 4/24/2003 11:02:34 PM]
Old 25 April 2003, 01:32 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I have the temp sensor to fit as well. I'll be buggered if I can get the 3rd cylider plug to budge though. Fortunately I have the correct adaptor which came with the gauges I bought off someone on here. For the oil pressure, I replaced the OE plug under the alternator with the sender using a small piece of pipe as per chiark's site.

Steve
Old 25 April 2003, 01:33 AM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

LMA067
I think this is the part you need .
£3.70 from http://www.lemansmotorsport.co.uk/motorsport/Products/Gauge_Fitting_Parts/body_gauge_fitting_parts.html
Old 25 April 2003, 01:12 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

Scott,

Take the pressure from the stock location. IIRC Defi pressure sender drops straight in, Autometer you have to use an adaptor as the sender is too large to fit under the alternator. This will dissable the stock low pressure warning light (which activates at 2.5psi or thereabouts). Stock idle pressure is usually 30+ psi

The plug above No.3 is a pain in the ****, but it is the better location for taking temps. I've seen differences of upto a 25 degrees between the sump and No.3 on my car. IIRC I believe the plug Scoobymania sell is 1/8NPT

What gauges do you have?

Old 25 April 2003, 03:18 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Telemtrix Gauges from Merlin Motorsport.
Similar to Autometer, and a bloody good match to the MY00 Dash.

Not the most expensive gauges in the world, but for me the match is what is important.

Will give ScoobyMania a Bell...
Old 27 April 2003, 05:12 AM
AJKS
Scooby Regular

Scott, here is some info on oil temps I have been seeing.

Normal driving: 195-210degF (90-98degC)
It takes about 5minutes before getting up to 195degF. Only seems to get up to 210degF during constant driving – ie freeway.

Track use: 230-250degF (110-121degC)
This was from Phillip Island during a Saturday practice session (so up to 8 or so laps at once) – about 27degC ambient.
If I was being conservative (ie using 5th when 4th would have been preferred) it would sit at 230degF(110degC) but if driven harder it would constantly sit just below 250degF(121degC).
It would take a few laps before getting to 250degF.

Notes:
1. Oil temp measured in the oil gallery above piston number 3 (piston closet to driver).
2. Measured with Autometer 100-250degF (38-121degC)
3. Autometer sender (max’s out at 250degF)
4. MY98
5. Castrol R oil
6. Australia (ie nice and warm ambient temps!)

Adam
Old 27 April 2003, 09:34 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Double Post.

[Edited by Scott.T - 4/28/2003 8:26:23 AM]
Old 27 April 2003, 09:38 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Just ring Scoobymania. They do the adaptors for temp and pressure.

Sorted mine out a treat.
Old 27 April 2003, 09:38 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Well, I thought I had it sussed by ordering the Sump Adaptor from ScoobyMania (£8+VAT) and the Gallery Adaptor from LeMans £3.70.

I got the adaptor from Scoobymania, and hats of the the girl on the phone...she admitted to not knowing what it was and she was right...

I bought, what I thought was going to be a temperature gauge sump adaptor, but it turned out to be temperature gauge main gallery adaptor.

After taking the sump plug out and comparing it, it looks like the sump may be M20 and not M18, as per the main gallery.

Anyway, I decided to see if I could get the stock main gallery plug out to check if it matched what had arrived. That it did, so I then installed the M18 to 1/8NPT adaptor, and also managed to get my Pressure Sensor unit in this location (above No.3). Which I considered to be a bit of a result.

This is now all installed and ready for wiring to the gauge once my pod arrives. It's very neat too...wouldn't know it wasn't mean't to be there....

I will give LeMans a call first thing Monday and change my order for a M18 to NPT adaptor, to an M20 and hopefully this will fit the sump. Hopefully this will then be OK for the Temp sensor.

Scoobymania do sell an adaptor and hose fitting for £18+VAT to fit a pressure sensor in place of the stock item. But I don't need this as I can retain the stock item as mine is now installed above No.3 Piston.

Anyway - for everyone else info, use either the Lemans (£3.70) or ScoobyMania (£8) M18x1.5 To 1/8NPT adaptor to fit the pressure sensor above No.3 (need to take intercooler off for better access), as long as the sensor diameter is no more that 45mm (or it will foul on other parts of the casting).

I'll let you know what I end up fitting in the sump, be it from LeMans or ScoobyMania.
Old 28 April 2003, 12:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

ScoobyMania no longer do the sump adaptor, due to track users having gravel trap experiences ripping them out.

As I don't in tend to do a track day, I don't see this as an issue. Also nothing a bit of Ally sheet can't solve if attached to the undertray.

Looks like I'll now have to get a genuine sump plug tapped.

Anyone got a 1/8NPT Tap ?
Old 28 April 2003, 12:19 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
I think so..

David
Old 28 April 2003, 02:53 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Picking a 1/8NPT tap up tommorrow from a local tool suppler. All I need to know now is the correct size to drill the hole.

Not getting a spare sump bung till Wednesday, so will hopefully get it sorted by the weekend.
Old 28 April 2003, 08:16 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

just got an SPA boost and oil temp gauge, both fittings giving me a headache.oil temp requires a 1/8 npt thread. i assume i can drill the sump plug ?? and the boost requires a tap into the inlet manifold with a 1/8 BSP thread or the insertion of a piece of alu pipe capable of taking the pressure sensor into the hose from the intercooler to the to the inlet manifold.any ideas because i'm stuck.
Thanks Sandman
Old 28 April 2003, 08:45 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Sandman,

What MY is you car. If it's a 97+ then there is a spare outlet just infront of the throttle body, which is capped off. just pull of the cap and push on your boost hose.

If is a 97- then cut the hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the boost control solenoid (i think it's the middle one) and fit a t-piece. I used a t-piece for the winderscreen washer pipes which you can get from halford for a few pence.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:23 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Thanks Scott its a MY01, would the same instructions apply ?
Old 28 April 2003, 09:28 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Scott, just to add confusion the gauge does not come with a hose fitting, its all electrical, ie, a large pressure sensor approx 2.5 inches that is supposed to tap into either manifold of a piece of pipe that i would have to get to allow sensor to tap into the rest is via elec cable to the guage.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:43 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Try LeMans Motorsport for a Adaptor to convert your fitting to a Vacumm Hose. You can then just 'T' in.
Link to their site is further back on this thread.
Old 29 April 2003, 03:24 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Sandman, I have just fitted the spa boost gauge as well. I bought a boost gauge fitting kit from scoobyparts.co.uk for about a fiver and this comes with a bit of hose with an adaptor on the end to fit onto the pressure sensor, then the other end tee's off the inlet manifold. than it's just a case of mounting the sensor somewhere. Mine has been cable tied onto the metal bracket with a hole in, just above the drivers side suspension mount. This was a temp position but has been fine so far so I might leave it there.
If I get time I'll take a pic and post it here for you too see.

Scott - Have just checked the "sump plug adaptor" I asked for from scoobymania and am fuming to find out it is the main oil gallery bung [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I now have two of those. I wouldn't mind but I sprcifically asked one of their mechanics for the sump one and they sent me the wrong one. I only realised after reading this thread. Anyone want an adaptor for the main oil gallery????
Old 29 April 2003, 03:30 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I have a spare on on order from LeMans too. As I thought I was getting a Sump Bung from ScoobyMania, and ended up with a Main Gallery one too.

Anyone elese want a Main Gallery Adaptor.

I might have a 1/8NPT tap going too, once I've used it. As that just cost me £20.
Old 29 April 2003, 07:33 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Thanks Charlie.Pity SPA don't supply the part or at least could point you in the right direction. Why are you not tapping into the sump plug or have i missed something. would it be better to get the adaptor and is that available from Scoobymania. what details would i have to supply them.

Quick Reply: 1/8 NPT Gauge Fitting - Sump Plug & Blanking Plug.