Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Metal rattling sound after downpipe installation

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 09:46 PM
Bart's Impreza World
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is a MY03 WRX.

I don't know a better way to describe it except for it being a metal rattling noise. It start at around 3000 rpm. It looks like its stops at 4500 rpm. But i am not sure because by then the exaust is making too much noise.

After I have an open downpipe installed I noticed this noise, it happens on acceleration escpecially in 3th and 4th gear. It starts when the presure is just above 0.

If I rev the engine at idle I get no rattling sound.

I used the same metal gasket because it still looked ok. I have only done 1000 miles with the car.

I placed the original downpipe back again but the noise is still there, but much much much softer then with the open downpipe.

Could it be the gasket, or must i look somewhere else. It is not the heatshield i already looked for that.

Greetz Bart.

[Edited by Bart's Impreza World - 4/16/2003 10:28:18 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 10:41 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it could be that with the sounds proofing qualties of the original downpipe removed, you can now hear the wastegate opening and closing, the ecu apparently sends a load of signals to it to open so that it doesn't open with a bang, but, this makes it clatter about a bit, so it 'might' be that that you can hear, or, it might be a rattle on the sheild , but my monies on the wastegate!
Old 17 April 2003, 12:34 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Yep agree with RON on this one.

The wastegate vibrates against the turbo casing as it first starts to open. It was doing exactly the same before, but the OE downpipe is so heavily lagged that you just can't hear it. When the turbo is fully spooled, the wastegate is right open, so no chatter and the frequency of the spin is beyond that of human hearing apparently.

My MY01 WRX does exactly the same thing. Now she has a TEK 3 map the boost builds earlier and quicker so the chatter is quite noisy.

Nathan..
Old 17 April 2003, 01:58 PM
Bart's Impreza World
Scooby Newbie

Yes it could be the waistgate in the turbo housing. But on my 01 WRX i didnot have that sound. So is it that the one makes this sound and another one doesn't ?

Greetz Bart.
Old 17 April 2003, 03:40 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Just had my DP and Decat centre fitted and get same noise. Assumed it was the heat shield on the centre section rattling.

Will remove it this weekend to see if it makes a difference.