Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

whole decat or just down pipe and back box?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2003, 11:01 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

hey guys,
took delivery of my awesome 99v uk 2000 turbo today, didnt realise it had a 6 month old magnatex back box, with a big big hole in the end (yes i am not very car technical)!
It sounds beautifull at the moment, however i am booked in to get a stainless catfree downpipe, and stainless centre section to go with it in a few days, my questions are;
i have the 6 month old stainles magnatex backbox on already, if i simply fit the stainless downpipe, will i get power / noise increases?, or is it worth me going the whole hog and getting the full decat exhaust, and simply swapping back when mot is due?
if i do go the full stainless catles system is the exhaust going to be noisier than it is now? (apologies for knowing absolutely nowt!!!!!)
also will optiplex really make a difference??????
as always lads, your expert advice is massively appreciated
laters
micky
Old 11 April 2003, 11:25 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Welcome to scoob ownership ! I have a 99uk Turbo which for 2 years I just had a scoobysport backbox which alone sounded sweet. Followed this up by having a de-cat downpipe (Power Engineering twin dump) which in my case has increased the noise quite a lot(, especially induction noise & turbo whistle as well a very loud warbley exit sound(Excellent). At the moment I'm running the standard centre pipe with the Cat & just last month it got through its MOT. Been told that by changing the centre pipe noise increases further but varies from car to car , at present I'm happy with the way the car roars & the drivability of it so I'm not getting the centre pipe yet but thats purely a personal view.
So cutting to the point its definately worth getting the Downpipe. Up to you about the centre. Hope my waffling is of some use !! Cheers
Old 12 April 2003, 10:16 PM
waddy
Scooby Regular

If you go full De-cat you will need to get the ECU sensors changed or it will run like a pig.
Old 12 April 2003, 10:59 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

ECU sensors???? Which ones??
Old 13 April 2003, 07:36 AM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

my MY99 full decat UK Turbo runs smooth with no problems at all and has done for the last 1 and a half years.

which sensors do you mean ?
Old 13 April 2003, 07:50 AM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Wink

Most people change the whole lot mate and just swap the de-cat pipe
come M.O.T time.No problem with sensors???,although the oxy sensor on the down pipe can be a pig to remove.
Old 13 April 2003, 09:12 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shxt, I was hoping for a 100% "Go ahaead and do it Micky" sort of response, but it was not to be.

I am getting the centre piece and the down pipe fitted by revolution in gateshead, they seem like good guys, but I know have more questions;

1) How much more power will I get having a full stainless decat exhaust fitted as apposed say just a backbox, and the downpipe fitted.? Will leaving the factory standard centre section of the exhaust have a negative impact on the proposed extra hp?

2) My car at the moment has that awesome lovely deep rumble to it (not to loud, not to offensive, but enough to turn heads, if I fit the downpipe alone will the noise increase, likewise if I go the whole hog, am I going to end up like something that sounds like a challeneger 2 tank rolling into Iraq

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2003, 09:15 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

sorry, hadn't finished, 2 year old son hit enter!!!!!!!

I simply want to know if it is 100% cut and dried "YES" get the whole stailess thing going on!

Once again, all of your help is greatly appreciated

Safe Driving

Micky
Old 13 April 2003, 01:19 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

A classic shape runs fine after a de-cat. It's the new shapes that need a check engine light fix otherwise the EC thinks there is a fault with the (non-existant) cat.

It will be louder but pull a lot better at low revs.

Steve