Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Quieter exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2003, 10:59 PM
scoobydad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Currently have Scoobysport backbox and centre section. Now looking for a quieter exhaust.Would like to retain power gains over oe exhaust.

Any suggestion ?
Old 13 March 2003, 11:07 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a bpm-td38 downpipe for sale.

it is a 3" catless system - and it is 8db quieter than other down-pipes on the market.

this means you can keep your scoobysport mid and backbox, and by using the bpm downpipe it will be quieter.

let me know if interested, and it is already in the uk..
Old 13 March 2003, 11:39 PM
ktm1974
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack this thread.

scoobydad if u want to sell your back box and center e-mail me

ktmi974@aol.com
Old 14 March 2003, 12:43 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Quiestest backboxes tend to be the prodrives, which are allegedly more restrictive than the scoobysport, but still much better than the standard ones. Other options include the scoobysport "quiet", the Remus (allegedly very quiet) or even the APS (a personal favourite - slightly noisier than the prodrive, but better flowing).

Not meaning to p*55 on Christian's fire, but I am pretty sure the BPM downpipe won't be 8dB than the OEM catted one that you have at the moment, and it might not be much quieter at all. Whilst the BPM is renowned for being about the quietest performance downpipe about, IIRC, it is only 8dB quieter than a particularly noisy decat one (HKS?), and more like 3dB quieter than most.

Another slightly off the wall option would be to get your headers (exhaust manifold) ported. This will give you a little more power, bring the turbo in a bit earlier. More relevant to you, it will significantly reduce the "boominess". Best of both worlds - more power, less noise!

Best of all, you could try the BPM downpipe, port the headers and change to a prodrive backbox. Will give you lots more power, better turbo spool up and less noise!

All IMHO, of course.

Edit to add: A resonated Magnex centre section in place of your scoobysport centre will also reduce noise levels and make virtually no difference to power.

[Edited by hades - 3/14/2003 12:45:09 AM]
Old 14 March 2003, 07:58 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

We do a centre section with long bubble silencer that doesn't effect performance that is quiet popular for removing the bark from the exhaust.
Old 14 March 2003, 12:23 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

As you have the oe DP, the Remus won't add a noticeable restriction at all (at a guess). It's slightly noticeable (over the standard H&S system) above 5.5k with a full decat, and seeming that the oe DP is wayyy more than that, should be OK.
Other than that, the APS is indeed a goodie. Flows very well, doesn't boom (it shuts up by motorway speeds) but still amusing when blasting about the place. The drawback is that it is a full system only (I think...), although that full system can have a performance cat in it (and so you get a performance boost and less noise).
For a free-flowing smoothy, the HKS Drager is good for sound levels, but costs a fortune
Old 14 March 2003, 06:36 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nom - the APS can either be full system or backbox only. It is 3" system but drops to 2.5" for the backbox from the last flange. I did run just the backbox on the back of my OEM system for a couple of days - did backbox in a lunchbreak, but thought 30 minutes was ambitious for a full system change